Search

Car drop off fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car drop off fee

We are flying in to Hilo and out of Kona.Does anyone know what the fee is to drop off your rental car at a different spot?Thanks
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 06:22 PM
J62

Only the rental car companies will be able to quote rental fees and drop off charges - I like to use orbitz.com to comparison shop then go directly to the rental co website of choice to book a car.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:35 PM
Neopolitan

Just be aware that it isn't necessarily a "drop off fee" to look out for. These days some companies even say there is NO drop off fee, but they they charge a higher rate if it's a one way rental. What's the difference. You just need to compare final prices with several companies to find out. And those things don't change weekly or daily, but hourly!

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM

ttraveler: This is not a response to your post but a ??. Are you flying into Hilo and out of Kona because you are doing more than one island, or there are certain advantages (couldn't be airfare)? The BI is so large and there's so much to see it seems your in/out schedule makes sense. Thanks very much and have a great time!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:01 PM

It's usually $35.00
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

I am flying into Hilo and out of Kona because I have a limited time. I guess the fee doesn't really matter anyway because by the time I drove back to the other side of the island I would spend that much in gas anyway...I was just curious so I wouldn't have any surprises.Thanks for all of your help. I leave Sunday.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you reserve it to pick up in one city and drop off in another the fee will be quoted up front. If you simply decide, in the middle of your rental, to return the car somewhere else, you could pay a high fee.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM

Check out the www.Budget.com I've typed this so many times I feel like I need a disclaimer: I don't work for Budget, but I've never paid a drop off fee with them and have always been happy with them.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 03:54 PM
Neopolitan

I'm not sure about within Hawaii, but Budget is one of those companies I was talking about that doesn't charge a drop off fee, but instead charges you a totally different rate if you drop it off somewhere you didn't pick it up. I checked them for San Francisco to San Diego for example, and there was an additional $109 to drop it off in San Diego instead of returning it to San Francisco. They don't call that a "fee" but frankly, I do.