Reload this Page >

Thinkin' we should all be in NOLA this weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:19 PM
sistahlou

God Bless the New Orleanians and all their neighbors. Anyone smart enough to be there???

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How kind and thoughtful, sistahlou. I will, but it's home. This may sound strange, but I'm having trouble dealing with it. I believe it's post traumatic stress and I'm trying to keep the regression at bay. It was a harrowing experience for my family and me, and since my father passed away not long after, I get nervous just thinking about all that happened over those horrible weeks and months.

I have read the Levees Broke thread, and wanted to post, but it's just gotten too political for me. I am more concerned right now with others feeling the way I do, and politics are the least of our concern.

Sorry, guess I gave you far more than you bargained for.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:41 PM
P_M

Oh BG, I'm so sorry for what you are going through, especially the loss of your dad. Last year I felt so badly for all of you in NO, I just can't imagine what it must have been like. I hope your healing will come soon. Here's a Texas sized hug, directly from TX. ><

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM
sistahlou

No dear bayougal, you gave me all I'd hoped for...you let a tear come out that was fighting to! Kleenex now!!!

Will be thinkin' of you and dem! Let your neighbors know...

XOXO
g'lou

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:47 PM

You both have me boohooing now. But maybe that's what I needed. Why is it that I can make it through hell as tough as nails, but at the least little show of kindness, I am a basket case?

Your support means the world to me, and to be totally honest, I wanted to say how I was feeling on Fodor's but I was afraid to. But as usual, because of the kindness you folks always show, I knew inside it'd be okay to share it.

Everyone living here went through some kind of hell, so we try not to overly burden one another with our feelings right now. But having my friends on Fodor's has always brought me encouragment and reassurance.

Thank you so much.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Big hugs to you & your family, Bayougal. I'll be thinking of you this weekend and sending positive thoughts your way.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM

BayouGal, I send you so many hugs. Living in California I cannot even imagine what you and your family went through my dear. And than losing your dear father..please, do let us know your feelings BayouGal. I have spent a lifetime bottling up my feelings and it has only since I have been on Fodor's that I have felt "free" to express what I am feeling.

Post Traumatic stress, no doubt BayouGal. I can't even imagine how those of you who lived through the traumatic problems that you did are feeling even back way half to normal.

Sistahlou and P_M..you couldn't have better friends and shoulders to lean on dear BayouGal. Again I send you so many hugs from California and I encourage you to "talk" about how you are feeling. I had no idea. I am sure there are so many of us here on Fodor's that will help "walk" you through this most difficult time. I know Fodorites have for me when I went through a stressful period.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM

The USS Trathen DD530 Assoc. will be in New Orleans next month visiting the WWII Museum and taking a two hour river cruise with lunch. We're busing it from Baton Rouge where our reunion is being held.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Oh BayouGal, bless your heart. It's always so easy to say coulda, woulda, shoulda, when one isn't personally involved in that kind of tragedy, but we need to remember..and thank you for reminding us..that this is a real tragedy, involving real people, whos lives were torn apart in an unimaginable way. Prayers to you and all who suffered and are still suffering there.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
sistahlou

mo kleenex now! We may be a critcal, sarcastic, cynical group....but we know when to come together.

Even if I wuz there BayouGal, no way could you make me drink one of those glowing Bourbon Street Walkin things!!!

Scared gyppie scared!!!!

XOXOXO BG
sistah

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:24 PM

BayouGal I don't blame you for ignoring that other post. Made me mad just reading it. I did watch the show and while there is cultural influence in the film (which I'm pretty sure is what made it New Orleans) I thought it was pretty honest in every way. None of us know the impact like those who lived through it and I'll be thinking of them this week.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Up here in Canada I'm thinking of all the wonderful people I met in New Orleans and other parts of the Gulf. I am there in my heart. Peace be with you BayouGal.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:04 AM

God bless the Canadians - you were the FIRST to show up!!!

And thank you all. What wonderful folks and such a great country to live in!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM

BayouGal, our thoughts are with you this weekend.

We love NO so much, and have been down twice since the storm. I admit that some of the news coverage this week has had me crying too.

I think I'll thaw some of the wonderful shrimp we bought from Ruth's a few weeks ago and make gumbo this weekend in your honor!

Hugs and love from your Alabama neighbors,

Byrd

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Awww, thanks, Byrd! You are a sweetie! I told everyone on the "Fodorites you've met" thread that you and I would definitely have to meet soon.

If any of you have family and friends that live in coastal Louisiana and Mississippi, I think they'd love getting a phone call from you this weekend.

You all have made my day, and I can tell you that I will definitely be coming back to this thread every time I need a little lift.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM

I've been thinking about the upcoming 'anniversary' for a few weeks now. Every year my family has a reunion on Labor Day weekend and last year I didn't go because of Katrina. I just couldn't imagine driving a couple hours north and pretending like the world was fine with what was happening in NOLA & the rest of the gulf at the time. I stayed home glued to the TV, said a lot of prayers and donated the money I would have spent on the trip to the hurricane victims instead. (Unfortunately, my family thought I was nuts for doing so.)

BG, Byrd and others in the gulf, my heart goes out to you, especially during the next couple weeks when the memories of last year will be revisited many times. We can only hope there will never be a repeat of this type of tragedy again.

<<<HUGS!>>>
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:19 AM
iceeu2

BG, huge big hugs to you.

And, sistahlou, a smack on the head to you for making me need the kleenex along with the rest of ya.

This may not be the right thread for posting this, but BG, I have so enjoyed reading about yours and jetset's trip to Hawaii. Just reading jet's tr, you could just feel the love and friendship that you, jet and mat have formed.

God Bless You All!

i'2

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:59 PM
sistahlou

Amen, amen, amen!

Beleiving in healing!

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:06 AM

BayouGal, this is the post with the Bourbon Street Walkin drink in it, it was mentioned by sistalou and she said it glows. I'm scurrred of that.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM
GoTravel

Sending good thoughts your way BayouGal.

I've been through similar and the saying is true; what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You will prosper and I'm so very sorry about your father's death.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -