Captiva or Bust- Suggestions please!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having frequented Naples and Marco my whole life, THIS year we are heading to the Tween Waters Inn on Captiva. A different experience than what I'm used to- but will be great for my kids and elderly parents.

I will probably do some grocery shopping on the way to the island- Sanibel? or should I do it in Fort Myers? Happy Hour stuff and snacks etc. Nothing major.

Restaurants... I don't want to micromanage this trip TOO much (as I tend to do) but a few suggestions for dining outside of the "resort". Is the Mucky Duck still on Captiva?

I'm sure we will do Ding Darling resorts as my young kids will love that. Any other suggestions- especially in case we aren't blessed with good weather.

We might rent a boat- as my husband and father are avid fishermen. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM

There's a nice grocery store on Sanibel. After you get on the island, make a right at the first traffic light. It's down on the right a few miles. They have great food (already prepared- great for snacks and hungry kids) Also, while you're shopping the kids can "talk" to the live birds in the cages outside. There is also a seashell shop on the left side of the road before the food store. It has every kind of shell imaginable. A great place to buy a small mirror, and bottle of glue. Let the kids collect shells and glue them to the mirror frame. They have a great souvenir of their trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

What a great idea!! My kids are really into art projects and this would be a fun craft to do with their Grandma. Thank you very much for the tip!!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM

If you rent a boat, check out Cabbage Key for lunch. I haven't heard since the hurricanes, but I assume it's still there?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Yes, Cabbage Key is still there. I went on a "cruise" there last year with my mom. It's a wonderful place to visit. There are 2 hr. cruises there. When I went last time, dolphins swam right next to the boat. They jumped out of the water right next to us. Also a great experience for the kids. It's a lot of fun to walk around the island. It's tiny. I'm going in 6 weeks with my elderly mom and we'll take the boat ride again. If your parents can't walk around the island, they can sit at the end with a drink and you can walk around with the kids. There are no cars. People who live on the island use golf carts! If you haven't taken the tour of Ding Darling with the guides, that's also great for the kids and your parents too. The guides know so much and are eager to share.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM

The grocery store zztopz is referring to is Jerry's. There is one other a short distance from Jerry's on the left as you head towards Captiva (Bailey's - corner of Periwinkle Way and Tarpon Bay Road). They're both pricier than the groceries on Ft. Myers, but not heinous...and they're Sanibel Cute.

Mucky Duck is still there and is fun, as is the Bubble Room. There's a new kid in town...sort of an American Bistro/Tapas Bar across from the Bubble Room called Redfish Bluefish. We had a fantastic meal there sitting at the dining bar facing the open kitchen, chatting up the chefs, and ordering one tapas dish after next. It was some of the best food I've ever had on Sanibel/Captiva, but probably not a good choice for kids. There's another restaurant on the intracoastal just north of Tween Waters called the Green Flash, which is very nice and also family-friendly. The Keylime Bistro in "downtown" Captiva (near the Mucky Duck) is also good, and they have a nice breakfast.

I would avoid eating at Tween Waters' restaurants, unless it is just a burger at the tiki bar. Their Old Captiva house is expensive and nothing special. We usually even pass on the complimentary breakfast buffet when we stay. It's only okay. IMO the best breakfast on the islands is at the Lighthouse Cafe near the southern tip of Sanibel (near the lighthouse, of course)...it's top notch, and worth the pretty drive.

Vist the historic Chapel By The Sea and the seaside cemetary on Captiva if you have a chance...it is lovely, quaint, and quite touching. There's also a shell museum on the northern end of Sanibel that's pretty cool. Captiva is one of my favorite spots...enjoy!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Your recommendations were very helpful. Now I will obssess over the Red Tide situation!!!! I always will find SOMETHING to worry about LOL. Thanks again
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Good, inexpensive place to eat on Sanibel is Schnapper's Hots (grilled hotdogs, hamburgers, fresh cut fries, fresh fish and chips). Regarding groceries, Jerry's and Bailey's both have nice bakery sections. For things to do, be sure to go to Jensen's marina and look for the manatees. We saw several (including a baby) on our last visit.