Capitol Reef questions

Search

Capitol Reef questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capitol Reef questions

(I also asked this question on the tripadvisor forum, but haven't received an answer yet). We will be arriving at Capitol Reef late in the day and will have time for the scenic drive, plus maybe one short hike. Would the Capitol Gorge hike be a good choice or part of Grand Wash? Also wondering about the dirt roads leading to these hikes--are they interesting to drive even if we don't take the hikes? If we're still there at sunset, is the Sunset Point Trail worthwhile? We're also considering driving the Burr Trail, but it might cut into the short time we have at Capitol Reef. We will be coming from Bryce (via hwy 12) and will need to drive to Cedar City later in the evening.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

One more try.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM

We did the Hickman Bridge hike while we were there last summer. It's short and if you go just beyond it there's another good view point.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Both the Grand Wash and Capitol Gorge walks are pretty similar. You have Pioneer register on the Capitol Gorge hike but I think the canyon gets narrower on the Grand Wash Hike. Grand Wash is my favorite hike...even if you only go half way.

Both dirt roads to the trail heads are interesting.

You are driving from Bryce Canyon up Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef, driving the scenic drives, maybe take a hike and then make it to Cedar City that night? WOW...that is going to be ONE LONG DAY! You're looking at almost 300 miles and about 7 hours of just driving time. I really doubt you will have time for the Burr Trail.

Utahtea
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

It's a long day, but we're good drivers. Planned on getting up for sunrise at Bryce. Also thought we could do the whole drive from Torrey to Cedar City in the dark if need be. That gives us about 5 hours to drive Highway 12 and a few more in Capitol Reef. I guess Burr Trail is pretty much out. Already making notes for a longer trip next time. Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Hi B,

IF you have time, I would recommend the Hickman Bridge hike. I like it best out of the hikes I've done at Capitol Reef. Capitol Gorge was just OK, in my opinion, but the scenic drive is great.

Have fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Cassiday Arch is a little long, but it leaves from the Grand Wash trail.

I would do Hickman Bridge if I had to pick just one.

Grand Wash is easy because it is flat. Hickman Bridge is not flat.

However, you cannot go wrong with any of the longer hikes. It is just a question of which one you find the best.

That is a little hard to answer.

One thing is for certain: Utah route 12 is great.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the help. We'll see what we have time for. If the weather doesn't get better in the next couple of weeks, we may have to stay in the Zion area (which wouldn't be the end of the world .
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Wait a minute. If you wanted me to arrive in Capitol Reef late in the day via Hwy 12, drive around C.R. see everything, see sunset, then drive back through Bryce to Cedar City
IN THE DARK on Hwy 12.

I would most reverently tell you to take a hike.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I'm a little afraid of Highway 12 in broad daylight! Actually my software suggests we drive up UT 24 to I70 and then down to Cedar City. Says it will take 3 hours and 20 minutes. I'm figuring if we leave Capitol Reef by 8:30, we'll get to Cedar City before midnight. The same software suggests it will take 3 hours to get from Bryce to Capitol Reef on highway 12. I was allowing 5 hours with stops. Yes it's a lot of driving, but highway 12 is really our main destination for this day, so the only tedious driving will be from Capitol Reef to Cedar City. If you know anything my software isn't telling me about the road that leads up to 70 (UT 24), I'm all ears (or eyes), since we don't know the terrain at all. Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM

When we were in the state last fall, we traveled only in the daytime. There was so much to see, such different and magnificent terrain, that we didn't consider driving at night. Utahtea, will they miss much on that route is they drive it in the dark?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Why in the name of all that is holy and wonderful would you be afraid of Utah 12?
It is no more dangerous than any other road. It is probably safer than a city interstate, judging from the number of wrecks in Atlanta every day.

I just don't understand that assertion.
But, I am not a clinical psychologist.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM

To: bob_brown,

I think bcala was kidding when they said they were afraid of hwy 12 in the daylight. bcala, From what I have read, bcala does not plan to drive hwy 12 after dark!

To bcala:

Your times are pretty close. I come up with 3 1/2 hours from Bryce to Torrey and another 3 1/2 hours from Torrey to Cedar City. I would do the route you mentioned. Hwy 24 north to 70 and take the Interstate down to Cedar city if you are driving at night. All, in all, it's a nice drive but nothing that special that you would miss it driving after dark.

Utahtea

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Bob Brown: Mostly I'm joking. Let's just say I have a healthy respect for heights, but not enough to keep me away from them.

Utahtea: Thanks--I was wondering the same thing as Van Ness.

Thanks everyone for all of the help. So nice to get specific questions answered before we walk into a visitor center!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:16 AM

Hickman Bridge was my favorite hike within Capitol Reef. Different views around every turn!