Favorite East Walks/Hikes in Southwest Utah?

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Wm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite East Walks/Hikes in Southwest Utah?

Once again, we could use your expert advise for an upcoming trip. We will be camping in our travel trailer most of the month of September in southwestern Utah. We would like to hear about your favorite easy walks in Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Escalante areas. We drive a 4-wheel pick-up so will be able to access most areas.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Since you are in the area. Consider Goblin Valley State Park. Very easy to walk as little or as much as you like among the formations. Little Wildhorse Canyon is close by and is a very very easy and very very good slot canyon. You might want to camp at Goblin Valley. Great night stars there.

Devils Garden in Escalante is good.

Riverside walk in Zion.

Rim Trail is easy in Bryce.
Hiking down into the hoodoos is harder. I rode a horse there and thought it was great, so you might consider that if you don't want to do the harder hikes.

Most of the trails that I did in Capitol Reef were pretty tough. Don't miss the pie at The Gifford House. There are a lot of great drives in the area if you are not afraid with your 4 wheel drive. These are on dirt roads and can have steep dropoffs.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Goblin Valley was fun to roam around. Even though it's not a hike per say, it will feel like it after you walk down to the 'goblins' and climb around on them for a few hours and then walk back up.

Don't miss the Freemont petroglyphs in Capitol Reef. Beautiful. Bring binoculars for Petroglyph viewing. We drove back and then walked to the Pioneer Register. Easy level walk.

There's a real nice little campground in Fruita in Capitol Reef. Have fun. Southwest Utah is one of our favorite places in the US.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Zion: Riverside Walk, Pa;rus Trail. Lower Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock are listed as easy and aren't that bad. Canyon Overlook and Middle Emerald Pools is a little harder.

Capitol Reef: Petroglyphs, Grand Wash and Capitol Gorge to Pioneer Register are easy and my favorites.

Bryce: Rim trail between Sunset and Sunrise Points. If you decided to do the Navajo Trail - Queen's garden hike, start at Navajo and come up Queen's Garden. It a slower grade coming up. Mossy Cave isn't to bad.

I agree with getting pies from the Gifford House! YUM!!!

Utahtea
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM

Also, I highly recommend getting up early to view the sunrise at Bryce. It is well worth it.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Wm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Is Snow Canyon SP near Leeds worth a visit?
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM

Snow Canyon State Park is just 8 miles north of St. George and I've always enjoyed our visits there. It looks like you have a lot of time to spend in this area so it would probably be worth a visit.

Other places to consider:

The Smithsonian Butte Scenic Byway with a side trip to the Grafton Ghost town and cemetery. This is one of my favorites but don't do it if it's raining, looks like rained or has rained a lot recently. It's a dirt road and it turns to a slippery mess when wet.
Web sites: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/68995/index.html
http://www.scenicdrivesusa.com/node/183
http://www.sangres.com/utah/blm/smit...utte-byway.htm

Kolob section of Zion, and on scenic Hwy 12 the Kodachrome Basin State Park, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, Calf Creek Falls State Park, and the Burr Trail.

Utahtea