Capital One Bowl - Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a good possibility I and about 10 of my friends will be in Orlando for the Capital One Bowl. I know Orlando and the surrounding areas are full of places to stay and things to do, but I am in need of some direction on where to stay. We will want to participate in the Bowl Game festivities, but I have had no luck in finding out where any of these will be. Anyone from the Big 10 or any other school that has been there recently for the bowl game have suggestions on where to stay? Important to us is nightlife (bar scene for college age) and proximity to other football fans. Any information will be helpful.
Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Your best bet for college aged nightlife will be either CityWalk near Universal Studios or Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney. both have clubs, restaurants, etc with live music. Whatever the host hotel for the game is will have some kind of function or get together and my guess is that a lot of those details will be spelled out when the bowl bids are announced. In the meantime, look for hotel space since the Christmas/New Years holidays tend to be one of the busiest times down there and keep in mind, there is always Pasadena!! On Iowa!!!!!
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 11:15 AM

There's not likely Pasadena for an Iowa fan. Not unless Michigan or Wisconsin goes to the National Championship, which would have extremely long odds at this point.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM

I agree with the above poster about waiting till the teams are announced. However, being a local I would recommend staying in the downtown area, which is were the Capital One Bowl will take place. Check out these hotels:
Westin Grand Boheim
Embassy Suites Downtown Orlando
Marriot Downtown
EOE INN (more of a (bed-N-breakfast)
Radisson Plaza Downtown

I highly recommend the downtown area for this time as the college scene is great (too many ckubs to list) and the Parade will also take place downtown.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 01:02 PM

IF Ohio State beats Michigan and Iowa beats Wisconsin, the Hawks could end up in Pasadena....long shot but after losing 5 running backs this season, anything is possible
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Actually, if OSU beats Michigan and Iowa beats Wisconsin, then both Michigan and Iowa will share the big 10 championship with one conference loss each. They also both have one non-conference loss. But, Michigan beat Iowa, so in the head-to-head Michigan would win out and go to the Rose Bowl.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information so far! I agree that Pasadena is out for the Hawks this year. We have a tough game this weekend to make it to Orlando, but I think we can do it! Our other option will be Tampa for the Outback Bowl. Does anyone know how bad the drive would be from Tampa to Orlando? We were thinking about booking a flight and driving if we picked the wrong city. I saw doing driving directions that it is about 80 miles apart, but I don't know how bad traffic will be...Any input?
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Also - I like the idea of staying downtown. We want to be where there is a lot of activity, but kind of want to stay away from the resorts if we can. I actually booked the travelodge that is downtown near the hotels that ShebaInu mentioned. I think the prices at a lot of those were around $200 a night, and not really in our budget.
However I am going to check all of them that were mentioned. We wouldn't mind staying somewhere nicer, if we can find one in the $100 price range. Thanks Again and Go Hawks!!