Cape Hatteras

We are thinking about staying here next summer

4 kids age 1 1/2 to 10....I'm sure there is enough to do

anyone stayed in the area?

any advice appreciated

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 05:40 PM
ddd

hi steve,

i'm not exactly sure what your question is but here's my input on hatteras. it's a gorgeous part of the outer banks and there are a variety of things to do for all ages. still, it's bit remote. if i had 4 children ages 10 and under i'd stay farther up the banks where there's a greater density of kid specific stuff. this would be particularly relevent in the event of bad weather.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 05:47 PM
steve

thanks...

where would you suggest?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:18 AM
ddd

steve,

my favorite part of the outer banks is the area in southern shores north to duck and sanderling. those communities are very family oriented and have a minimum of (or no) commercial developement. these places are still a short drive from the more commercialized areas in nags head, kitty hawk and kill devil hills where you'll find most of the kid themed stuff, shopping, restaurants, supermarkets, etcs.

another option is to go even farther up the island to corolla which is by far the most recently developed part of the outer banks, some find it opulent but i find it nouveau riche and character free.

either way with four kids that young i'd spring for a house with a pool. the surf can be extremely rough anywhere on the outer banks. it's a trial for even advanced adult swimmers and definetely not for children. beaches are lovely though,

there are lots of opinions here about the outer banks so if you have time do a search.

good luck.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Whatsamatta U.

Or you could encourage your kids to figure out ways to amuse themselves that don't involve miniature golf, water slides, pizza palaces, dodge'em cars, video-game emporiums, Disney movies, etc. etc. etc.

Hatteras is gorgeous. Things to do: swim, body surf (or body-board surf), build sand sculptures, watch birds, learn about pirate history, check out what it took to move the lighthouse, take a ferry to Ocracoke, play frisbee, learn sand-dancing, play CandyLand, have a scavanger-hunt Christmas-in-July to exchange presents made of things found on the beach. Give the older ones cameras to record what strikes them as interesting.