Cape Cod Seafood

May 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Cape Cod Seafood

Even though I grew up in New England and now live in Wisconsin I have never been to the Cape. We are going to be there Memorial Day weekend. We will have our 2 year old son. We are looking for a family friendly seafood restaurant with good food. I have been told to go to the Lobster Pot, but it seems a bit pricey. I was also told to check out the Lobster Claw but it gets mediocre reviews from people who have been there. We want to remember our experience on the Cape and getting good seafood would ensure that.
May 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM

echuether,
The Cape is a big place, with over 35 towns and villages. It would be helpful if you let us know if you are staying in the Upper Cape, the Mid Cape, the Lower Cape or the Outer Cape!!
Each town will have it's locel seafood place, most family friendly. Be aware lobster prices are sky high, as they are scarce right now.
The Lobster Pot is in Provincetown. Featured as one of the "best seafood dives in the U.S." in this months Coastal Living magazine. It is excellent.. Family friendly.

I've not been to the Lobster Claw,nor have I heard anything about it. But two very family friendly places, both opening in May would be Arnold's, in Eastham, and Moby Dick's (my favorite )in Wellfleet. In the village of Wellfleet, there is also the Lobster hHut. Fun, sit at large table.
As you can see, I know more of the Lower-Outer Cape than the rest. Just avoid those places along route 28 in the mid-cape!!-
May 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Lobster Pot. It's gonna be the first place I hit back on the Cape for dinner.

Try lunch - it may be a bit less pricey.
May 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

We will be along the outer cape. I guess we will have to try the Lobster Pot.
May 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM

There are many family friendly restaurants with good seafood in each town on the Cape. You don't say where you are staying so I will list a few in the Mid-Cape area.

Cooke's Seafood, Tugboats, Spanky's Clam Shack, Baxters Fish and Chips are all in Hyannis.

In South Yarmouth there is Captain Parkers where after you eat you can walk to the Zooquarium and nearby on the other side of route 28 is the Lobster Boat.

In Dennis on 6A there is Captain Frosty's and nearby is our personal favorite the Sesuit Harbor Cafe serving breakfasts, lunch and dinner

You can eat inside the cafe or outside under umbrella tables and watch the boats going going in and out of Sesuit Harbor.

Sesuit Harbor Cafe has become so popular they have added lunch and dinner cruises aboard their brand new dinner boat to handle overflow crowds of diners.

Their Lobster Roll and Seared Scallops are outstanding
May 10th, 2007, 10:54 AM

For a casual place with GREAT people watching, I also like Bubala's on the Bay in Ptown. Sit on the patio by Commercial Street and just watch the parade of Ptown go by. It would be a good place to take a 2yr old too. Fresh fish - diverse menu. But, still not the Lobster Pot!

http://www.bubalas.com/
May 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Bubala's chef from a few years ago bought a restaurant in Wellfleet,The Wicked Oyster. - it is wonderful Starrsville, the next time you get this way!
May 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM

The Lobster Claw is in Orleans and has been getting awards for Best Family dining for years. Kids love it.

If Orleans is not too far from where you are staying then Captain Elmers is another fine family restaurant with excellent seafood.

In Provincetown both Lobster Pot and Bubala's are great and I would also add Napi's a place your two-year old might enjoy all the items Napi has decorated his restaurant with.
May 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Thanks ccs! I may get up there this year. I'll try it out. LOVE the name! "Wicked Oyster" Fabulous!
May 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM

The Wicked Oyster also has live music. Went there last August, it's a great place.
May 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Okay, I'm there! I'll add it to my list. Thanks
May 11th, 2007, 03:51 AM

The Wicked Oyster is not what I would call "Family Friendly" but there are two places in Wellfleet that you might consider. One is Mac's Seafood on the pier and the other is Mac's Shack on Commercial Street (the old Lobster Hut on the way to the pier). We went to Mac's Seafood with a 16 mo. old last summer, ate outside on the picnic tables and had a blast. Kids were playing and parents were not worried about making a mess and offending other diners. Mac's Shack is inside dining but not formal. It was BYOB last summer, as was Mac's Seafood. So if you go bring a cooler with any beer or wine you might want!

Lobster Claw in Orleans is good, honest food, clean and family oriented. Food is fresh and simply prepared. We do not tend to go because there are so many families and it gets a bit "lively" but the food is good.
May 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM

There is a small place that my family goes to each year in Eastham (I believe) called Arnold's. It is near the national seashore, right on Rt. 6, and very family friendly. It is also a "come as you are" kind of place--which is great after a day hiking or on the beach.
May 26th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Any restaurant recommendations for the Hyannis area?
May 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM

"Any restaurant recommendations for the Hyannis area?"

Yes.
Best seafood: Cooke's on Iyanough Road.
Best location to eat seafood: Baxter's on the waterfront.
Best food you probably don't eat every day: Pavilion Indian restaurant 511 Main
Sleepers, i.e., good food, low prices, no atmosphere: Sunnyside Cafe, 282 Main and Thai House, 304 Main, though it may have changed hands recently.

I would be happy to hear of other good places, but these are all places I am happy to eat when passing through Hyannis on my way to Nantucket.