Cape Cod or Cape Ann in early May

Feb 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Cape Cod or Cape Ann in early May

My husband and I have 3 1/2 days to explore outside of Boston. We were thinking of staying on Cape Cod, but Cape Ann sounds great too. Will it be a little early in the season for good weather on Cape Cod?? The Sandwich Glass museum caught my attention, but we could still do that if we stayed in Cape Ann.

Any suggestions as to which town/city to stay in? Our preference would be to find someplace (a B&B perhaps) to use as a home base for day trips and not have to pack and unpack every night. Or would 2 different places be better? We need to return to Boston for our departure.

Again--thanks to all of your input.

LSOK
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM

I prefer the Cape Ann area for early May. Look into the Rockport area for B&B. Check out all the towns up and down the coast from Marblehead to Salem (House of Seven Gables, Witch Museum, National Historic Park, Peabody/Essex Museum), through Gloucester - real fishing town, possible whale watch trip, through Essex, Magnolia, Rockport (lots of artsy places, nice views).
Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:08 AM

Truly, early May is a little early in the season for good weather anywhere in Massachusetts--it can be lovely, but you probably won't be getting shorts-and-sandals weather.

I agree with emalloy's suggestion to stay in Rockport if you want to tour Cape Ann. There's plenty to do on the north shore, on and off Cape Ann, and that would be convenient.

I love Cape Cod in early May also. The Sandwich Glass Museum is lots of fun, and you might see what Heritage Plantation in Sandwich has going on. If you were to stay at that end of the Cape--in Sandwich, say or another town near the mainland--you could easily take a jaunt up to Plymouth, and just as easily drive farther out on the Cape.

I suggest you see what each area has to offer and decide what interests you most.

Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM

You definitely don't need two home bases to see Cape Ann. It's pretty compact. The Sandwich Glass museum would be a hike though.

Another attraction you might like is Hammond Castle in Gloucester. And as someone already said, Salem is an easy trip from Cape Ann. The Chinese House inside the Peabody/Essex Museum is quite something.
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.

In discussing our plans with my husband, he may want to travel into New Hampshire and Rhode Island during our travels. Since plans are a little "iffy" do you thing we have to reserve a place ahead of time, or can we wing it as far as accommodations are concerned? We would like to stay a a B&B--but don't necessarily have to.

Thanks again.
LSOK
Mar 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM

If you are not fussy about your accommodations then you certainly can "wing" it. There should be rooms available early in May so finding a motel on a major road will not be a problem. If you want something special, however, I would do my homework now, perhaps making some inquiries about availability (using e-mail) to see what is open and to get a feeling for a few different locations. Sometimes there are events that consume most of the rooms in an area and it would be good to know that ahead of time. Then, with a list in hand of potential places to stay, you will not waste time hunting around and will be more likely to settle into a place that meets your needs.
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their help. We have decided to stay in Rockport for 2 nights possibly at the Beech Tree B&B--has anyone stayed there or does anyone have any other suggestion?

We will then spend 2 nights in Cape Cod-probably in or near Sandwich or maybe West Barnstable. Any suggestions for B&B in those places?

Hope to hear from someone soon. This trip is coming right up!!
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Rt 133 in Essex has plenty of great seafood shacks and a few antique shops. Essex is just outside of Gloucester, maybe 20 minutes from Rockport. I also highly recommend Crane's Beach in nearby Ipswitch.
Apr 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM

If you are going to Cape Cod you really should experience the National Seashore area. We love the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast inside the park in Eastham. It is quiet, private and luxurious. The innkeepers are great about helping to plan your day and the ocean/marsh views from fort Hill are breathtaking. The location in Eastham is just minutes to many shops and dining in Orleans and Eastham is perfect for day trips to Provincetown and Chatham. The area is rich with history, culture and art as well as the scenic beauty that is associated with the Cape. Eastham is 2 hours from Boston and 45 minutes from Sandwich so I suggest you stop at the Glass Museum on the way from Boston to the outer cape and then spend the rest of your time soaking in the beauty of the charming outer cape villages and beaches.
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM

I'll be happy to name restaurant names Elwood77 hasn't yet in Ipswich and Essex. In the latter town, J.T. Farnham's is a very good clam shack experience and The Village is a good local's sit-down spot with plenty of seafood -- there's also Woodman's, the alleged inventor of the fried clam and a place listed in just about every guidebook of the area, but I've liked it less. An utter must in Ipswich is the Clam Box, arguably the best clam shack experience in the area.

And yes, Crane's Beach is excellent, arguably the best in the area assuming it isn't greenhead fly season when you go (they bite!). Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester and Singing Beach in Manchester-by-the-Sea are other good Cape Ann area beaches.

Search this Thread