Search

1.5 days in Cape Cod

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.5 days in Cape Cod

Hi,
I will be in Boston the first week of October for one day and need to spend a morning in Hyannis on business. I specially saved it for after the summer vacation time when it's quieter. I have a day in-between my Boston client and Hyannis client. I have a total of 1.5 days to sightsee. I figured that I'd keep Hyannis for the afternoon after my business. I was thinking of driving from Boston to Falmouth the afternoon before my free day and taking a ferry across to Martha's Vineyard in the morning of my free day and heading back in the afternoon. Perhaps late afternoon in Falmouth after MV, then driving that evening to Hyannis to do business the next morning. Any advice for someone spending such a short amount of time, but grateful to have the opportunity and can always come back for a vacation.
Thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 10:53 PM

You can catch a limited number of ferries to MV from Hyannis, but you'd end up spending the better part of the day there (arrives at Oak Bluffs). There are several more ferries that leave from Woods Hole (arrive at either Oak Bluffs or Vineyard Haven) and you could get away with spending only a few hours. Oak Bluffs is arguably the more interesting of the two towns as it has actual attractions (Oak Bluffs Campground houses primarily, though the tiny Cottage Museum and the Flying Horses Carousel are okay pop-ins) in addition to shopping and restaurants.

Alternatively, consider spending a day in Sandwich. The Sandwich Glass Museum is excellent as is the Heritage Museum and Gardens, plus you can tour the Hoxie House, Thornton Burgess House, and Dexter Grist Mill.

In Yarmouth there are three historic houses right next to each other, the Edward Gorey House, Captain Bangs Hallet House, and Winslow Crocker House.

Check hours for everything you want to see first, as they may be limited -- especially the houses and grist mill.

There isn't much to see in Hyannis.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 01:39 AM

The particular days you plan to do this make a difference: Columbus Day Weekend (October 7-9) is a big holiday on the Cape, the "end" of summer.

I agree with bachslunch on Hyannis not having a whole lot to spend time on.

The drive down to and around the Kennedy compound is very attractive but not easy to follow, and you can't actually see into the compound. There is a very nice waterfront park overlooking the harbor, but in general, Hyannis is a place for ferry arrivals and departures and for locals to shop and see their doctors. Lots of lodging and places to eat, though.

If I had a full day, I would follow MA 6A from Sandwich to Brewster, stopping often at the attractions that bachslunch mentions, the old car museum in Sandwich, and the antique shops and bookstores along the way. You are driving parallel to the water, which you rarely see unless you turn left onto some of the side roads that take you down to the shoreline. This is the scenic Cape.

If you are not a browser and poker, you can stay on soulless US 6 to the Outer Cape, which is very different. US 6 ends in Provincetown*, and you could explore there for much of a day but you could also stay through lunch, then go on to the National Seashore and Chatham to the south. Chatham has both upscale districts and a working waterfront. I would then go to Hyannis and stay in a modern hotel for the night between before my appointment. Save the quaint B&B for a pleasure trip.

*The other end of US 6 is in Bakersfield, California, if you have plenty of time.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 01:40 AM

To really appreciate Cape Cod IMHO you should go to the national seashore on the outer cape , visiting Wellfleet, Truro and PTown.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jubilada, is the outer cape easily accessible in a day from Hyannis? I'll look at the map but would appreciate advice as I have to book my trip shortly
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 03:49 AM

I totally agree with jubilada, visit the national seashore on the outer cape. MV is nice but you will spend too much time getting there, and not enough time to really explore it.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 04:11 AM

If you want to browse antiques, artisans, etc - head west towards Sandwich and Falmouth. If you want to see dunes, real ocean and less populated, head east and end up in Provincetown.

The Outer Cape is definitely doable in a day.

That's the rough framework. I think MV and Nantucket are lovely, and it you would enjoy a pleasant ferry ride, you could go there. But with the time you have, I would pick one of the above options.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I spend my life traveling for business and try "steal" a day or two if I'm lucky enough to be in great environments.I forgot about the Columbus day weekend so for the person above who referred to that, wouldn't I just miss the craziness as I'll be driving back to Boston (airport) on the Thursday late afternoon? The holiday weekend is usually Friday - Monday but may be different in the CAPE? Look forward to hearing whether I will be okay with traffic and accommodation? My main travel day will be Wednesday the 5th.
SO appreciate all your input.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 09:13 AM
cw

For avoiding the weekend traffic and visitors you should be fine. Allow enough time to arrive back at the airport and return your car.

If you go to the outer Cape, and I highly recommend it, stop at the National Seashore Visitor Center in Eastham, and pick up a good map. Do go also to the Provincelands Visitor Center and their observation deck, where you will have a great view of the bay, the town of Provincetown, and the ocean beaches. https://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvis...torcenters.htm

There are some lighthouses to visit. I recommend Highland Light in Truro, the first lighthouse on the Cape. It is open until Oct. 10. http://www.highlandlighthouse.org/plan-your-visit-2
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 09:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Your original idea, Falmouth, MV etc works well. Ferry leaves for amV from Woods Hole. Also, we always return for a drive down 6A, starting in Brewster, when back on the Cape as we did last month.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

You're all wonderful and much appreciated. I will definitely return to the Cape on vacation but given the opportunity to mix a day of play with a 1/2 a day of work is cool. I am going to work on an itinerary based on the great responses above. Have a wonderful weekend everyone and keep the ideas flowing ;-)
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 06:33 AM

I just posted a trip report on day tripping to MV which we did from Hyannis, but like others said- your idea to do it from Falmouth may work too (takes faster/cheaper from Falmouth but it is 40-minute drive to Hyannis when you return). You definitely need to pick between MV and outer Cape which is a difficult choice because both ideas are great. The drive from Hyannis to outer Cape towns is about 45 minutes without traffic and you have to plan ahead your stops-choose your beaches before spending a leisurely afternoon in Provincetown checking out the vibe and browsing quirky Commercial street stores.
(Sandwich museums idea is nice - for a return trip- but frankly, but the other two are just more spectacular.)

here is my MV post fresh from the blog with pictures.

http://celebratetheweekend.com/marthas-vineyard-day/