Cape Cod ... Late April With 8 Yr. Old!

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM
bonniebroad

Cape Cod ... Late April With 8 Yr. Old!

Will be visiting family in New England next month; thinking of taking my 8 Yr. old DGD to Cape Cod (she lives North of Boston.) There's a Comfort Inn with indoor pool in Hyannis (only been on the Cape once for an afternoon), and I'm thinking about a couple of nights at the hotel... and just hanging out, seeing the scenery, and getting out of Mom & Dad's hair for awhile (we'll be there for a week.)

Any ideas for us, good places to take kids to eat, etc.? I know it will be chilly; Accuweather says the daily average temp then is about 58 degrees.

Thanks, all!

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM
jd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This museum has interesting exhibits for kids, and a nice trail walk by the bay.
http://www.ccmnh.org/

This is a small aquarium in Woods Hole, but kids seem to love it.
http://aquarium.nefsc.noaa.gov/

http://www.piratescove.net/location/9

http://www.whalewatch.com/

http://www.grandslamentertainment.com/
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM

There is also the Cape Codder Resort in Hyannis that has a giant Indoor Wave Pool that kids her age love.

Some indoor places to visit: CC Museum of Natural History; Zooquarium in S. Yarmouth, Shopping at Christmas Tree Shops, Drive down Ocean Street to visit Kalmus Park, Veterans Park & JFK Memorial.

Some local family places to eat: Hearth & Kettle, Lobster Boat, Spanky's Clam Shack, Colluci Brothers Diner, Captain Parker's Restaurant.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM

What fun! And the weather may be better than you think since it's 60 degrees here in Boston these days. We had one spring break on the Cape with 90 degree temps! But 50s/60s will be the norm.

I would try for the Cape Codder. Haven't stayed there but people with kids really like it (and many from my area take their kids for something to do in the wintertime). People also like the John Carver Inn in Plymouth as it has a themed indoor pool.

Good suggestions of activities. Plimoth Plantation might be a nice stop on your way to the Cape from the North Shore. Think it's open and it's of interest to all age groups. Just dress warmly because it's a basically outdoor museum.

Highly recommend Cape Cod Museum of Natural History including the walk on the John Wing trail. Youll get a good feel of natural Cape Cod. Another thought at that time of year....if you go to CCMNH in Brewster (our special town), find your way to the Old Mill area so that you can see the Alewife/herring running upstream. It's quite fascinating and happens at that time of year. Also, Brewster will be in bloom with its daffodils (that's our big thing) so it will be pretty. And a stop at the Brewster Store (intersection of 6A and 124) is a must--old time general store with Nickelodeon and penny (nickel, dime, quarter!) candy.

You'll have a blast.

Another thought...check out the ocean beaches at Nauset Beach in Orleans.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM
bonniebroad

Thank you, jd, Gene and ccrosner, for all your good suggestions! Both hotels sound great, but unfortunately, neither are pet-friendly. I would definitely go for the one with the wave-pool, if we weren't traveling with the doggie! I will print out your ideas, and if there's anyone else out there who can think of other ideas to add, please do!

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Meant to suggest that you check out Ocean Edge resort...they have villas that may allow dogs. Might be pricier but might not be.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:35 AM

Hi, Bonniebroad,

We spent a vacation every summer in West Hyannisport the first ten years of our kids' lives. Although swimming in the ocean is not possible in April, there is still lots to do. April is a great month for kite flying on the beach!

Mini-golf is a must! My kids used to love (and still do!) the Pirate Cove double course about 15 minutes south on Rt. 28 in Yarmouth. I'm sure they'll be open on weekends by April, but call to confirm just in case. There is a snack bar and arcade with tons of Pirate gift junk for sale on the complex. Brax Landing is a good restaurant in the neighborhood that has great views.

There is also a small arcade and carousel, and seedier, older mini golf right on Main St Hyannis, if you don't want to make the drive. Also the big ice cream, penny candy, gift shop across the street.

If you take a longer drive to Chatham, there is one of those great playgrounds - you know the huge wooden structures with all sorts of activities embedded. Nice town for shopping and strolling, but not too much else for the kiddies.

There is a smaller playground and adorable general store with penny candy closer by than Chatham in Centerville, not far from Craigville Beach. It's close to Four Seas ice cream that you might have read about on this site! Look for the "Democrat" and "Republican" benches outside the general store. Maybe you could start your afternoon with lunch at Wimpy's in Osterville (about 15 min from downtwon Hyannis), then the playground and GS, then the ice cream on the way back to Hyannis.

The small oceanography museum at Woods Hole is also usually a hit.

There's a great non-chain restaurant for families across from the mall called BarbiAnn's. It's embedded in a side street, so you'd have to call for exact directions. Oh - and the mall has a huge cinema with stadium seating which is great on a rainy day!

Also, I would definitely take her on your way coming or going to Plymouth. Even if you don't want to do the whole heritage museum outdoors, there are living history actors on the Mayflower replication. It's a very good presentation.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pool. There is so much to do out and about. Everybody is so stir crazy here this time of year, people don't seem to mind a bit of clouds or drizzle! My kids always used to get sinus or ear infections from indoor hotel pools anyway!

If you do go to the huge Xmas Tree shop, there is a Trader Joe's next door, so it makes for a great stop!

Oh - one more place to eat! If you are into fried seafood... Cooke's cannot be beat!!! The BEST clam chowder and fried clams, fish, shrimp, onion rings, etc. - including chicken fingers! You stand in line to order, then they will bring it all out to your table.

What a nice way to visit your children, and spend some QT with DGD while giving the parents a break. I'm sure it will be a great visit for all. Have fun!

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:12 AM

The General store that Dreamer2 is talking about is called the 1856 Store because that is when it was first built.

Coming from Craigville beach when you get to four corners (traffic light) with Four Seas Ice Cream on your right, go straight across for one long block and 1856 Store is on your right.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM
bonniebroad

Thank you for chiming in, Dreamer2. I have another question. I read in one of my travel books that Hyannis was the best place to base yourself on Cape Cod .... would you all pretty much agree with that? Thanks again ...

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Hi bonniebroad.
I cringed at the travel books recommendation of staying in Hyannis, but off season I think it not a bad idea. So much is not yet open, until mid-April- Patriots Day. Pirates Cove will not yet be running (in season that is fun),nor will the Four Seasons Ice cream place be open.
I would indeed stay at the Cape Codder resort. The two grandchildren (ages 7 and 10 just love the wave pool-the place for birthday parties during the winter.I do agree that a stop at Plymouth Plantation is a great idea. And, so is a trip to the C.C. museum of Natural History. While in that vicinity, continue on to Brewster, and onOff StoneyBrook,you will find the old grist mill and the herring run. Lots of fun, and they should be running then. Continue on toward Eastham and Coast Guard Beach and Nauset Beach. On weekends in spring (pick up a weekly newspaper for dates) one can tour the lighthouse at Nauset Light Beach, and visit the Tree sisters lighthouses,that are now part of the National Seashore. Also in Eastham, the National Seashore visitors center is open,the walk from the center to Coast Guard Beach is fun,you can rent bikes and bike also, if you wish.The Visitor Center has programs also, and a movie that shows in the suditorium.
Miniture golf abounds along Rt. 28. I don't know if it will be open that early. I'm much more failiar with the mid and lower Cape than the Hyannis area.If there is a Cookes that is a place my grandchildren love. The only one I know is in Orleans. One of their favorites is the Country Buffet, in Hyannis (not mine)-but they love the buffet! Wish I could help with the doggie-I'm not sure who will take them. I know you will have fun. If I can help further, don't hesitate to ask!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM

April vacation for most Mass schools is the 15-23, and some of the mini-golf places do open for that. Pirate Cove website says the last weekend in April, which would be the 28-30, but I know I've been during school vaca week in the past. Don't know when your weekend is, BB, but it's worth a call to check.

For adults, in season, I would not say Hyannis is the best place to stay. It's more commercialized and crowded. But before beach weather, and with kids in tow, you'll find the most going on around Hyannis. Just pick up a Cape Codder guide and check the calendar listings once you arrive!

Oh - there is definitely a Cooke's in Hyannis. It's right on Rt. 132, in front of the plaza with the Homegoods and Pier One. (To avoid l-o-n-g lines go by 11:50, or between 2-4:00 pm.) It is not a national chain like I think Country Buffet is, but a Cape thing, with appx 3 locations.

Provincetown is probably dead in April, but if Dune tours are operational, that is a really cool excursion. It feels like you're not even on earth anymore! But it would be a long ride for a hour long tour if nothing else is open, which it probably would not be. I guess that's best to save for another trip!

Have fun!