Cape Cod Campgrounds

Jul 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Cape Cod Campgrounds

Planning to spend September camping on Cape Cod. Will there be a problem finding sites; will we need reservations? We hope to stay at 4 or 5 different areas. Any suggestions of exceptional campgrounds?
Thanks.
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM

What type of camping? Do you have an RV, trailer, pop-up or tent? It makes a difference, as many of the Cape Cod campgrounds cannot accomodate large RV's.
Jul 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Am not a camper, but Nickerson State Park in Brewster is probably the biggest public campground and, yes, you need reservations. Most of the others, I believe, are small private ones. There aren't that many in all.
Jul 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM

What are your criteria for "exceptional"? A big pool and clubhouse, or nature trails and scenery?

During September, when the kids are back in school and the season is winding down in many places, you'll probably need reservations on weekends but not weekdays.

I like Scusset Beach State Park, which technically isn't on the Cape, but it's right on the Cape Cod Canal.
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

We have a 19 foot RV. My idea of an 'exceptional' campground is one that has sufficient space between sites, has some trees, is in a scenic area and generally a relaxing atmosphere. We are planning to stay at Nickerson and Scusset Beach. Since they are state parks they should have the atmosphere we are looking for. Will probably spend a few days at Provincetown also.
Thanks for the info!
Jul 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM

If you want trees at Scusset, then in general the lower the site number, the better. The higher-numbered rows, closer to the beach, are pretty bare but are thus popular with the bigger rigs. My favorite is Site 57, it's at the end of a row and has relatively a lot of privacy. It's also near one of the camp hosts, so less potential for disruptive neighbors, though I've never had any. Some people are disappointed that the place doesn't permit campfires, but it sure does improve the air quality. I have a 24-foot Class C.