Search

Cape Cod 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod 2008

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Cape Cod this summer (June or July 2008) and noticed that many of the rentals (in my price range of $1,000 or less) do not have air conditioning. Is air conditioning really needed, or is opening the window or a fan fine? Or do I need to adjust my budget and find places that do have a/c? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM

A lot of places don't have a/c and most of the time it's just fine.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM

You won't find too many homes with air-conditioning , at least on the Mid and Outer Cape. Most of the time it is not needed- as the prevailing breeze is from the Southwest, over the bay. The past several years we've had some hot spells- when the fans are going non-stop! They are short lived in duration, and the fans do seem to take care of it.

Lots of info on rentals,and the Cape in general, as well as the different areas,if you click on my
name,and look for the threads on the Cape- or do a search of Cape Cod on the board, you'll find quite a bit of info that might help.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM

It depends on your tolerance for heat. The Cape is usually reasonably cool - but can get hot spells in the 90's for a couple of days - when you may want to have AC if you're heat sensitive - or have very small kids.

When are you planing on going (August is usually the biggest risk).

(We've found the same problem in Maine - and won;t stay anyplace without AC. No matter what people may say - if you hate heat AC is sometimes needed.)
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM

I was there in July. I forgot about the no a/c. When I came back to my room at the inn, I thought "There's no way I'm going to be able to sleep in this heat". I turned on the window fan and the reading light - and was asleep by the 2nd page. I THINK I need a/c, but did fine without it. If you have a high maintenance person in your group, maybe it's worth the price for a/c not to hear the complaining
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:22 PM

I am a year round Cape resident and agree with the above that generally AC is not needed, as nights are quite pleasant. It would depend on your tolerance for heat and also humidity. However, hot spells do occur, and they mostly occur in July and August. Book mid-to-late June and avoid some crowds and better odds of more tolerable weather.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 03:37 AM

Statistically, the last two weeks of July and the first week of August are likely to be hottest.

It can also -- will also -- be somewhat humid, but you will almost certainly need a jacket or sweatshirt after 8 PM.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:21 AM

As mentioned the cape is usually cool at night but there is the occasional hot spell. Usually these occur in the last 2 weeks of July or the first 2 weeks of August. I would be surprised if you had hot weather in June. Which town are you planning on staying in?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses. My current searches for cottages include the towns of Dennis, Eastham and Wellfleet. One of my potential dates is June 21-28. The other two prospective dates are the last two weeks of July (July 19-26, or July 26-August 2)which seems like it will be the potential for the warmest times. June isn't my first choice since my son, 5 will probably be in summer school that month, but I could make it work. I'm ok with not necessarily going into the ocean during the trip, we're more into building sand castles, throwing frisbees on the beach, etc as opposed to going in for an actual swim.

My biggest concern is that we rent a place without air and then it's hot at night and we can't sleep. If a ceiling fan and cracking the window is sufficent, that should work for us.

I didn't realize that I'd need a sweatshirt, I'll place that on the list. We live in Chicago and my friend that's joining us lives in Maryland, so we're ok with some heat and humidity (but not that stifling humidity that I've experienced in New Orleans and South Carolina).
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:49 AM

Gomiki and capecodshanty can direct you to the warm water beaches. I was amazed.

You'll need a sweatshirt at night. I conveniently "forget" mine so I HAVE to add to my collection of CC tshirts. Last July's purchase was an excellent choice

You are going to have a blast!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:46 AM

Going in June may result in less tourists as some schools are not out yet. Probably applies towards early June but some don't finish until late June. I wouldn't worry about A/C for June. July / August, you probably would need it
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Hi MelAnderson,
Like your choice of towns- if you go online, to the respective towns Chamber of Commerce sights, and request a booklet from them, they will send you one with myriads of information.
In the summer, I think the best time would be your July date. June can still be pretty cool, even on the bay (warm) side. There is much to do in all the towns, with a five year old. Also google the respective towns, to see if their summer activities are on their websites.
Two sites for cottage rentals in the towns you mentioned are "Weneedavacation.com, and Cyberrentals.com. Many real estate offices also have cottages also. Rentals are quite local, so contact only those in the towns you wish to stay. If you need help, do shout out!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

From the towns that I listed, which beaches have the warmest waters? I kind of want to stay in the same place and pay multiple beach parking fees. I thought that if we felt like it, we could venture out to other areas in the afternoons.

I was looking at some of the towns Chamber of Commerce sites and wondered how much I could expect to pay for some of the shelling and beach bon fires permits(minimal or are they expensive?). I can't find the fees specifically listed.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I have learned a lot from the boards and I try to search as much as possible. Thanks.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM

I was on Cape Cod last July in oceanfront hotel with no AC. I AM a bit AC dependent, but I was fine until the last couple of nights. Those were miserable, but the biggest problem was the humidity! In fact, my luggage missed our flight home, and wasn't delivered to our house for two days. When I opened it, everything was damp. That's how humid it had been when I packed!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM

You can have a bon fire on a National Seashore Beach with a permit that can be obtained at the Salt Pond Visitor's Center in Eastham. Go to www.nps.gov/caco for more information and costs. It will be worth your while to get a weekly pass to the National Seashore Ocean Beaches that will allow you to "beach hop" on the eastern outer beaches. For Cape Cod Bay beaches, managed by each of the individual towns, each town has its own fees. We stay in Eastham so I know that you need to pay parking fees only to go to First Encounter, Cooksbrook, or Sunken Meadow. I'm not sure but I think you need to purchase a special beach pass to go to bay beaches in Wellfleet. The Chamber of Commerce web sites should have some of that information for you. www.easthamchamber.com www.wellfleetchamber.com

If the weather is hot and the fan in your rental is not sufficient you can go to the Christmas Tree Shop, (Not a Christmas shop...but sells lots of "made-in-China" things really cheap.) which is located in Orleans, to pick up a few additional fans. It might cost you $30 but if you put the fan in the window it will blow cool night-air in and you should be OK.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Mel Anderson,

The warmest beaches are on Nantucket Sound- if you have a map of Cape Cod, they will be on the South Side, Rt. 28 runs down that side of the Cape. The towns are Yarmouthport, Harwichport,Dennisport and Chatham.Save for the latter, this stretch has many chain restaurants,motels and time shares,minature golf, and is quite touristy(for lack of a better word).

On the North side of the Cape (by far my perference) it is quiet,less "honky tonk", Historic along Rt 6A, with it's sea captains houses,museums,antique shops and boutiques, this is called the Old Kings Highway. The bay is warm, but not quite as warm as the sound. Here you will find the towns of Dennis,Brewster, Orleans, Eastham and Wellfleet. Orleans begins the entrance to the National Seashore,where it is only three miles between bay and ocean. The Seashore is beautiful,most of the land is on the oceanside-and it is cold, even into August!
The beaches are pristine and beautiful, with hiking trails,bike trails, and events going on at the National Seashore Visitors Center in Eastham, all summer long, which the entire family will enjoy.

Each town has it's own passes for the beaches.In Wellfleet, a weekly pass is $35, though at Mayo Beach,near the pier, and the site of the weekly Wed. nite family square dances in summer, and the towns tennis courts as well as a playground, is free.It included parking for the towns kettle ponds, which the children love. They are warm! The towns chamber sites should have the information.Bonfires are allowed at Duck Harbor,in Wellfleet, which is Cape Cod Bay.Permits are required from town hall, and the charge is minimal. Shellfishing also is regulated by each town. Again, in Wellfleet, $35 gets you a permit,and you can rake for quohogs, and pick up oysters one day a week at the public shellfishing beach. The town has a rather charming center, and on Saturday nights, walking around the art galleries in the village is a summer pastime, partaking of their wine and cheese.

Yellowbyrd has given you great info on the Oceanside Seashore beaches. In Wellfleet,the town beach pass will let you park on the seashore beaches that are run by the town, or you can pay daily at both Marconi and White Crest both gorgeous, and the former where Marconi transmitted the first wireless transmission, as well as where Sam Bellamy's ship the Whydah was found, not far off shore, where it had been since the 18th century.

Remember,our waters are tidal. that means the tide comes in over 6 hours, and goes out over 6 hours, and high and low tide will be approximately an hour later each day.In summer, all revolve around the tide-especially if you are a boater!

Do a "Cape Cod" search, in the box here on Fodors. You will find lots of info that will be helpful too you.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
roy

capecodshanty, I think you meant South Yarmouth rather than Yarmouthport as being on Nantucket Sound. Yarmouthport is on the bay (north) side.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM

For what it's worth, I would suggest trying to go that last week in June. I have been on the Cape during that week for the past six summers and can report that it is always warm during the day (one or two years it have gotten to 90 degrees) and beautiful, "10" days. Plus you have the added advantage of everything being open without being too crowded. And it stays light really late. Late July is great, too, but you will also have a harder time finding a rental in your price range.

Everyone else has given you great advice. Your budget is going to be a bit tight for a rental so don't expect luxury. Also, I would ask potential landlords if they supply fans....many do and some don't.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Thanks Roy, what was I thinking!!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Go for air conditioning, Mel!

I spend a week on the cape every summer, and one year the house we rented did not have air conditioning. I was beside myself! The humidity made us all cranky. That was the first and last time we stayed in a house without AC.

But it's always in July or August. Maybe the humidity isn't as bad in June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -