Cannon Beach Trip Report

Search

Cannon Beach Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannon Beach Trip Report

We had a wonderful week at Cannon Beach, Aug 20-27.

But first, I have to comment on Portland. We broke up the drive with an overnight in Portland on August 19. To all the Portland Fodorites, I just have to say what a wonderful city you have! We enjoyed it so much! I've spent quite a bit of time there over the years on business but always during the winter and always for work, never play! We arrived mid afternoon to beautiful weather & the city just sparkled! We strolled and sampled through through the "Bite of Oregon" followed by dinner at Alexanders on the top floor of the Hilton with sunset views of the west hills. There was a private party in the restaurant so we ate in the bar and had very good meals & enjoyed the jazz quartet. We stayed at the Hilton which worked out well due to the complimentary upgrade to the corner suite on the 21st floor with river views ! (I'm a long time Hilton Honors member) We enjoyed Portland so much, we hope to return for a long weekend in September so please keep that beautiful weather around for a bit longer!

Scarlett -- in the Alexanders bar, we met a couple who relocated from the East last year. They were so lovely and fun and interesting, I was going to ask if they were Scarlett & her Yankee but then they said they moved from New York. I was disappointed!

On to Cannon Beach....
This is the second time we've stayed in CB, in the same house which belongs to a friend of an extended family member who only rents to friends and family. So while I can't pass house information on, I do recommend the area -- about a mile south of Tolovana and very nice and quiet. The beach is less traveled than north by Haystack Rock but just a short drive to the shops in Cannon Beach. There appears to be a lot of rentals in the area.

This was a family/extended family trip, including 3 and 6 year old grandsons who are, how do I put this...very, very active so there was no fine dining for us this trip! But we all like to cook so we made daily runs in to either the Ecola Fish Market in CB or the Bell Buoy in Seaside for fresh seafood and had a great time cooking together & even greater time eating! After dinner it was down to the beach for a fire, s'mores (which go surprisingly well with a nice Cab) and scary stories for the boys.

Our activities were focused around the boys -- a trip to the air museum in Tilamook which they loved, and the cheese factory which they didn't. A trip into Seaside for the rides and some wandering around Ecola State Park which is so beautiful. And hours and hours on the beach...it was especially fun to explore the rocks at low tide and collect sand dollars at sun rise.

My husband and I did sneak off one afternoon for a nice, quiet lunch at Newmans and it was very good. I would love to go back there for dinner.

It was a great time and I think we made some very good memories for the boys (and the parents and grandparents)! We're already planning a return trip for next summer!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM

Are you really daydreamin, or did you have some sort of Back to the Future experience, or just get your dates wrong? Whichever, thanks for the report.

Were you at The Bite on Saturday or Sunday? Maybe we bumped into you. We were there on Sunday after riding the annual Bridge Pedal. Fun time, both the Bridge Pedal and The Bite.

Sounds like a neat location in Cannon Beach. It must be right at the end of the road almost. And whoda thunk, chocolate and cabernet... But they do work, don't they. ;-)

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

beachbum...I got the dates wrong! We were in CB Aug 20-27. This type of slip up is happening more and more since I retired!

We were at the Bite of Oregon late Saturday afternoon. Very fun! And delicious!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM

I think the date mess up is perfect proof that you were on vacation - you don't even know what day it is!!

Great trip report - thanks for posting!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

LOL, keep daydreamin, it is always better than reality

Thanks for the report!

I am sorry that was not the Yankee and I but I am happy that you enjoyed the city and CB. Even if it was in the future

The weather is amazing here, making us all forget about "rain"...
Hurry back!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

You HAVE slipped nicely into retirement, daydreamin! What were those dates again? ;-)
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM

LOL!

Sounds like a really nice time. Thanks for sharing
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

LOL!

"SLIPPED nicely into retirement" -- well put, beachbum!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM

Sounds like a great time! We enjoyed the seafood on the coast, also. Razor clams, fresh Dungeness crab, Wild Salmon we caught ourselves. Bell Bouy was great for our Steamer Clams, glad you enjoyed the place! ***kim***
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM

". And whoda thunk, chocolate and cabernet... But they do work, don't they..."

I happen to think just about everything goes with chocolate but I do love a nice dark chocolate dessert with red wine..
daydreamin, I bet the views at night from your hotel room were wonderful.
Have you seen www.portlandbridges.com ?
His photos were among those that made me first want to visit Portland..now you can remind yourself of how nice it looks and hurry back
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:01 PM

I'm still confused - was this trip during a week in July and not August as posted,was it last year, or is the trip still ongoing? Just interested - sounds like a nice time was had by all no matter when it took place or taking place.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

LaRee1L -- so sorry for the confusion! I retired recently & ever since, dates no longer seem very important! From a Type A obsessive planner to a mushy mind in 3 months! LOL!

But I finally noticed that I didn't even get it correct in my correction!!! The CORRECT dates for this TR: August 12-20, 2006!

Scarlett -- thank you for the website. The pictures are wonderful! I can see why you were inspired to visit. I've bookmarked the site! And we're in total agreement -- I think chocolate goes with just about everything too!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM

"I retired recently & ever since, dates no longer seem very important!"

That sounds sooo nice... daydreamin

"From a Type A obsessive planner to a mushy mind in 3 months!"

I've started to worry about that too - the brain turning to mush thing. You think sudoku puzzles will help?

Just to give him the credit he's due, the photographs on the site Scarlett referenced are by Andrew, a frequent poster on Oregon threads.

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Daydreamin - thanks. Can totally relate to what you're saying. I've been retired for over 2 years now and have to check the calendar constantly to make sure of the date. I'm heading up the Oregon coast next month - my friend traveling with me has never been and I have only been up the coast once so looking forward to the trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

beachbum...I've heard that both sudoku and crossword puzzles help (I obviously haven't tried either yet

LaRee1L...have a wonderful trip! I look forward to your TR.