Notices

Canal Street Vendor Shopping Today?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:13 AM
Shopper Girl

Canal Street Vendor Shopping Today?

I am thinking about heading into NYC for some street vendor shopping today. I have never been, so what can I expect? Are the streets blocked off to vehicle traffic like a street fair? What kinds of vendors with what kinds of goods will I see? I have a friend who has been dying for a fake Kate Spade bag............will they have them?
Also, where do you park? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:24 AM
NYGirl

Canal street vendors are set up along the sidewalks.It is crowded on the sidewalks but the streets are packed with cars.Noisy,hot and can be fun.You will have more choices of KateSpade,Gucci,Prada than you will know what to do wtih,all for about $20-25.Right around the corner on WBroadway,you can go to a few different outdoor cafes and cool off, get your shopping energy back then dive back in!Have fun~PS>Parking is a pain,just keep driving around and look,sometimes a lot is easier.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
NYBoy

I have never understood the appeal of this hellhole. Canal Street is the epitome of disgusting, especially in the summer. The street reeks and is jammed with pushy, stupid people. The stores are crappy and the merchandise cheap and illegal. I would know exaclty what to do with all those knockoffs - throw them in the gutter with the rest of the trash on Canal Street.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:20 AM
Ted

You'll have a great time on Canal Street. I can't help with parking, but the best shopping is on Canal (obviously) between Mulberry to the east and Broadway to the west. The south side of Canal seems to have more of the items you're looking for, but both sides offer alot.

I was on Canal yesterday purchasing some things for my nephew. The street did not "reek," except near the fresh seafood vendors, nor was it "jammed" with "pushy, stupid people." The vendors are very hard-working immigrants looking for a better life. The merchandise? Perhaps you get what you pay for, perhaps not.

Canal Street is a wonderful part of the intricate tapestry that is New York City. Enjoy!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:30 AM
NYer

maybe becaue you are a nyBOY??
maybe it is a girl thing?
maybe you just have to be in the spirit of the thing.
but for nyboys-there is still Barneys,Saks 5th,and Bloomingdales,all clean,air conditioned and relatively quiet.Although I cannot vouch for the people working there being any less "stupid" than those on Canal.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:34 AM
jane

While Canal St. is usually packed w/pushy people, I haven't found the people there to be any different from the rest of NY'ers. And it's worth putting up with to grab some deals that us "normal" people couldn't afford otherwise. I got a LV bag last time I was there and none of my friends can tell the difference. I wish Philly had a Canal St.!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
Danna

I haven't paid more than $10 for a watch since my 1st trip to NYC many years ago. Stock up!! When your $10 Tag or Rolex gets wet or lost or eaten by the dog...big deal...pull out another one. I recommend the stainless variety, the gold ones look fake.

Faux Mont Blanc pens make nice stocking stuffers.

I went to the real Kate Spade before heading to canal street so I could find the more realistic-looking ones. I will not carry my faux Gucci and Kate stuff in NYC, but in smaller cities, I don't think people know the diff.

Take more cash than you think you'll need and guard it carefully.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Tina

Sunglasses too. You can buy a bunch of Oakleys or whatever and not worry about losing or breaking them on the beach or while exercising or whatever. Some of my Canal Street watches I've had for many years, through battery changes even.

Don't let the vendors see your cash while bartering, and change twenties for smaller bills. Carry fives & singles.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
NYBoy

I still stand by my opinion about Canal Street. I walk it twice a day, to and from work, and find it repulsive.
But I would like to clarify that I did not crticize the "hard working vendors" nor did I call them "stupid". Rather I called those shopping on the street stupid. I give the immigrant vendors on Canal Street a heap of credit for exploiting the sad need of many to impress and deceive their friends and neighbors with designer labels they can not afford. Most people on this post seem to suffer from this affliction of needing to appear wealthier than they are.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:36 AM
NYer

NYboy-
downtown NY needs all the tourism dollars it can get right now.If people want to spend those dollars on knock offs, and while there,stay in a hotel,eat in a restaurant-More power to them! We are not in a postition right now to be so picky about what people are buying in NYC-just be happy there are people here and they ARE buying.
And again "stupid shoppers" is not the nice NY attitude to have either.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:06 AM
suzanne

I understand NYBoy's frustration. I'd HATE to have to walk Canal Street every day. It needs about 5x more sidewalk space than it currently has, to accommodate the huge mobs of tourists, residents, and sidewalk vendors on BOTH sides of the sidewalk.

Some people will endure any for a bargain...but not THIS New York girl. I only go when visiting relatives beg me.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
curious

suzanne,you would rather people not shop where it might get in your way?
Do you and NYboy only go to stores that are empty?
I think NYer is correct,tourism is down in NYC,some of us might have to put up with a little crowding here and there to encourage shoppers and the monies they spend.
I would think "enduring " crowds of shoppers is better than losing the millions of dollars this city has lost and is still losing.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:36 AM
s

I can't understand the attraction of Canal Street shopping. You are purchasing poorly made merchandise at a low price . I don't consider that a bargain. However, if that is what turns you on then go for it. I would agree that Canal from Mott to Center Street does have a rank smell from garbage waiting to be picked up. Incidentally, I believe the only street blocked off from vehicular traffic is Mulberry street to Grand and maybe a couple of blocks beyon on weekends only.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:51 AM
How

It's a rather sad and pathetic commentary that some of you are saying that't okay to sell illegally produced ripoffs since they'll help NYC recover from 9/11.
Sorry, folks, but that's not how I see my New York recovering!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:52 AM
suzanne

Curious, are you impying that it's my duty as a US citizen to shop on Canal Street? If you think that money paid for goods here is going towards taxes to improve downtown, you certainly don't know much about all the illegal activity going on here!

I DO shop downtown once in awhile, just not on Canal Street, and definitely not anywhere mobbed with people. I don't like crowds, so I try to avoid them. What's wrong with that?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:54 AM
NYBoy

I don't work for the Department of Tourism, so I don't need to whitewash anything. I am just telling it like it is. The question asked what should be expected on Canal St. I told her what she could expect. Should I have lied and said that Canal Street is a wide cobblestoned, tree-lined pedestrian mall populated by considerate, elegant socialites and witty New York intellectuals purchasing high quality, authentic designer clothing at wholesale prices in glamorous boutiques? It sounds alot "nicer," NYer, but it is patently false. I didn't tell anyone not to go, I just told them what to expect. There are plenty of other shopping venues in NY where you can buy low priced, high quality products without having to endure Canal Street.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:02 AM
Ted

Look, NYBoy, you clearly have an understandable bias against Canal Street. I don't envy anyone who must walk it twice a day -- you obviously work nearby and are probably in a hurry.

But don't discount its allure to fellow New Yorkers who live & work elsewhere and certainly to tourists who've never seen anything like it in their lives. I don't have to "endure" Canal Street -- I enjoy my occasional visits to such an interesting cultural area, as well as the shopping opportunities (and the food on Mott Street). Guests who visit from out-of-town uniformly adore a visit to Chinatown.

You say the street is jammed with pushy, stupid people. You walk it twice a day -- aren't you one of the pushy people? (Let's presume you're not stupid for the sake of argument.) The sidewalks are jammed with tourists, shoppers, and vendors. Are they pushy? Stupid? No, they're just not in a big hurry.

My guess is that I have the same contempt for midtown that you have for Canal Street. I get very frustrated with crowded sidewalks filled with slow-moving tourists, but that's because I have somewhere to be and I'm in a hurry. I try to relax, and that's the advice I give to you.

Bottom line: Canal Street has been and probably always will be a unique, major attraction in Lower Manhattan. Visitors love it; most regulars probably hate it. Such is life.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
jane

NYBOY: So you're saying that just because people want to pay for faux items that they're stupid? Or are you implying that all people looking for a bargain are stupid? Sorry if not all of us have the money and the
"intelligence" that you apparently do to buy the real thing.

Oh, and who are you to judge what other people spend their money on? I'm sure that you've never spent more money than you had just to impress someone. In NY, that's the name of the game.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:27 PM
CaliGirl

Shouldn't the people who sell this obviously illegal crap be arrested? I don't understand why New York, a city that doesn't put up with a lot of shit from anyone, doesn't stop it. I'd also guess that 99% (if not 100%) of these "vendors" don't pay any taxes, even if they charge the poor tourist from Nebraska.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:58 PM
Dave

Caligirl,

Every couple of weeks, the police and/or custom confiscate all the fake stuff in the stores. I am not sure the owners get arrested. (probably) But the next day, the stores just re-open up. I guess they just write it off as business expense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information