Canal St. Shopping-Worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one day in NYC this weekend, and have seen all the usual sights. I'm a shopper and miss all the sidewalk vendors that have disappeared lately. I've heard Canal St. is a good option for the same kind of shopping. Is it worth it? And how difficult is it to get there from Times Square. Could anyone please provide subway info on getting there?
Thanks again Fodorites for all your help.
And to you New Yorkers-I have to say the last time I was in NYC we were so surprised by everyone who stopped and asked us if we needed help when they saw us reading our maps! We were overwhelmed by how helpful everyone was, and many times, without asking. We really do love New York!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM

I work a few blocks away, do it. If you're downtown, it's a must. You are also right by Little Italy and China Town.
I would use "Hop Stop" on line for subway routes from where ever you are in NYC.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM

From Times Square, take the A train down to Canal Street and walk east. It's about 2 blocks from there to shopping and ALL along Canal Street you will find some bargin shopping, just remember to walk away if your'e not getting the right price because you will see the same item at another stall and you can bargin for the price you want to pay.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:54 AM

If you like to shop, why not go to Soho or the East Village or even to Williamsburg or Jackson Heights. What's the attraction of buying mass-produced goods from China that isn't worth the low prices you are paying?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM

Not sure what you're referring to with "all the sidewalk vendors that have disappeared lately".
There are many of them around NYC, especially around West Broadway/Houston/Bleecker streets and the numerous street fairs on weekends.

Canal Street is a mess and I have no idea what it is that people are buying there.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM

I agree, while Canal Street was interesting to see, I didn't find that the idea of buying things here was that enticing. If you like to be harassed by people with their wares lying on the ground on a sheet, Chinese woman hounding you saying "watches watches" and attempting to sell you fake rolexes, then you might like like Canal Street. Buying pirated movies or knockoff Prada purses just didn't excite me. With one day, I'd definitely find a better shopping place.

PS Google 'canal street' and read about it. Many of the places are storefronts for other dangerous activity and I have a hard time supporting such activity.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:15 AM

What about going to one or more of the city's flea markets? I haven't been to any in ages, but perhaps some of the NYers on the board could recommend some.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM

Chinatown is fine for teens for stuff like hair accessories but otherwise it's mostly crappy and ILLEGAL knock offs and it's a mad house. There are several good flea markets on weekends as well as a new designers space at edgeny.com

The flea market in Brooklyn is terrific. http://www.brownstoner.com/brooklynflea/

Here's info on the flea markets in Manhattan http://www.ny.com/shopping/flea/
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM

>>> From Times Square, take the A train down to Canal Street and walk east.

Instead, take the N, Q, R, or W which run from 42nd & Broadway to Canal & Broadway, eliminating the walk to/from 8th Ave. (Tourist Chinatown is basically along Canal between Broadway and the East River.)

I agree with many others in that I wouldn't go to Chinatown for the shopping, with the possible exception of Pearl River Mart. (Though I'm not a shopper.) It is kind of interesting to see. (In fact, I was just there this past weekend, mostly for photos and the San Gennero Fest.) I have found lots of sidewalk vendors the few times I've walked up Broadway from Union Square to 34th or so.

Paul
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Think I'll steer clear of Canal Street after reading all the posts!! It sounds pretty nasty and who wants to be harassed while shopping? Not me! And I definitely don't want to support whatever illegal activity's going on there.

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM

And for the record, Pearl River Mart is now in Soho, not Chinatown.

http://www.pearlriver.com/v2/storelocation.html