Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can I fly standby on Jetblue and how much will it cost me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I bought a ticket to NO from JFK on Jetblue for this friday, and have decided I would prefer to go on an earlier flight that same day. Jetblue does let me change the ticket for $25, but I also have to pay the difference between the price I paid for the flight last Oct and the new price which is substantial. Can I just go down to the airport and take my chances and fly standby? I am doubting the flight is full, but is there a way to find out? How much will it cost me? thanks, karen
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:53 PM

Why don't you just call the airline to be certain? 1-800-JET-BLUE!

love
roxy
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:04 PM

I love JetBlue too and have used them many times for trips for fun and business.

I don't think you can go standby without paying the fee on JetBlue. Most of the airlines have done away with the Sat night stay requirement and the standby option for earlier flights.

To find out if a flight is full you might try the website www.jetblue.com and see if they show the flight available and check to see how many seats are full on the seating chart.

Good luck and have a good time on your trip.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:29 AM

Actually JetBlue, just like most airlines allow you to go standby without any fees. They even go one better. If there is only one flight a day between the departure and arrival cities, you are allowed to go standby the day before or after without any fees. This and other info could easily be found on www.jetblue.com;

Read section 4.B on this page:

http://www.jetblue.com/pdf/jetblue_coc_122004.pdf

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:22 AM
GoTravel

Call JetBlue and find out what the pax load is and ask them to waitlist you.

If the flight is oversold by 15 seats or more, forget it.

Even if the flight isn't sold out, remember there will be crew deadheading, buddy passes, and employees jockeying for seats that aren't taken into account when they give you the pax load.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:31 AM

GoTravel,

One of the biggest marketing ploys of JetBlue is that they guarantee no oversales. Last year they had to deny boarding, voluntary or involuntary, just very few times. I don't know the exact number but it was ridiculously low, when compared to all other airlines.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:48 AM
GoTravel

While I've never flown Jet Blue, don't they still have to waitlist employees and buddy passes?

Even if they guarentee no oversales, most all flights have deadheading crew right?

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:42 AM

I really don't know how they do it, but they do have a remarkable record. If you check the statistics on FAA site you will see what I'm talking about.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:52 AM
GoTravel

AA, I understand completely what you are saying but the company still has to waitlist non paying passengers.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:23 AM

I do agree with and I'm not trying to imply that the OP is guaranteed success. Standby is just that, a standby. All revenue passengers scheduled for any particular flight will be taken care of first. All I'm saying is that with JetBlue the OP may have a better chance. Without oversales, and revenue passenger taken care of FIRST the chances are very good that it will work, but I hope nobody ever assumes that it is a guarantee.

My personal philosophy is this. If I could do an earler flight standby I will, but I will NEVER do a later flight standby. The risks are too great when you travel on a non-refundable ticket. Once it's past midnight and you did not get on, you are on your own.

BTW, I have seen JB employees on AA flights. Doesn't mean anything, but I think it reflects JB's policy. Revenue passengers first, employees last and if they have to they will put them on a different airline.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:35 AM

And buddy passes?

I'm not sure if JB even has these, but regardless.

That's the lowest on the totem pole on ANY airline. Everybody else and I mean everybody else will have to be taken care of first before any Buddy Pass holder will get a seat. So that's a no issue.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:18 AM
GoTravel

A friend of mine works for Spirit Airlines and while they don't have reciprical agreements with other airlines, they have counter agreements.

Jet Blue has counter agreements with Hooters Air I know (my cousin is an FA) and probably others.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks, I did call jetblue ( i was hesitant to do so, bc usually when i call a domestic airline, i end up on hold for at least 30 minutes - not the case with jetblue, a real person answered right away). I can fly standby, for no additional charge, for any flight within 24 hours of my original flight, but if i want to guarantee my flight change, i have to pay a $25 change fee PLUS $170 difference between what i paid for the seat last october and what the seats are going for now. and of course, i would only go standby for an EARLIER flight, worst thing to happen is I get stuck in jfk airport for several hours. i can then ride the airtrain out to howard beach or something! karen
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM

I have read more then once the JetBlue reservation agents one talks to when they call JetBlue work out of their homes. This is one way JetBlue keeps their cost down, according to articles that I have read.

So probably why you were not on hold "forever" barfam.