Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Camping this weekend with son, need central TX campsite advice

May 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Folks,

I'm camping this weekend with my 4 year old son. It will be his first camping trip. I bought all the necessary supplies this weekend (talk about expensive), so we're definitely going.

A primitive campground would do, but would like showers if possible as my son can't go a few days without bathing as he tends to get dirty.

I was thinking Pace Bend Park, but they said on the website that primitive campers don't have access to the restroom/shower facilities. I didn't know the status of McKinney Falls, it doesn't seem they have showers?

It looks like Bastrop State Park has what I need, and there's also a pool there. That's kind of far, but is that the closest that has what I need?

Any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks...
May 4th, 2009, 07:11 AM

I use this site frequently, best of luck, I can't wait to hear how it goes. www.nps.gov
May 4th, 2009, 07:27 AM
jcb

Hi bkluvsNola -

I am NOT a camper, but I have friends who go to Garner State Park every summer.

http://www.garnerstatepark.com/
May 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

jcb,

That looks wonderful, but it looks to be around 2.5 to 3 hours away. I was kind of hoping for a little bit closer for the first time. I'm thinking Guadalupe SP as it is close by and has showers so that is nice.
May 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Last year we had a really nice time camping at Inks Lake with a group of young girls. We chose a tent campground near the showers and restrooms, and the girls had a great time fishing and canoeing. I believe it was about an hour drive from north Austin.

This month we hope to camp at Bastrop, but I believe it is a bit further than Inks though not much.
May 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM

It would help if we knew where you were.
May 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Well, I found out that because of Mother's Day, almost every park in the Austin vicinity (I checked around 10 or so) was sold out for primitive camping/primitive with water, except for Garner State Park! So, Garner it is.

Does anyone have directions for the best way to get there. I assume 290 down to 10 to 83 south?
May 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM

I have camped at many campgrounds in the Hill Country. All have their good points so it just is a matter of what you are looking for. Garner is great in the summer for the Frio River, although it is very crowded then also. Now would be fun. I have camped MANY times at McKinney Falls, especially when my children were young and we loved it. The shelters are super, as well as the tent camping areas. The bathrooms in the shelter area are great. Bastrop is nice; so is Buescher. Also nice are Pedernales and Enchanted Rock State Parks. Well, I like all the state parks in the Hill Country area. Enjoy your weekend!!
May 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

kkukura,

Do all of those campgrounds include showers?
May 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM

We love INKS Lake. Try a site with water only. Near the water, showers. swimming fishing...Primitive is a lot of work out of the way, and no showers or bathrooms. If this is his first time, I'd save primitive for another time.

Do you have reservations? Many state parks are full this time of year.
May 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM

All state parks in TX have showers if they offer camping. They are located with the bathrooms in the camping areas. Go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website to look at specific campgrounds and their offerings. The showers are nothing fancy, mind you, but they do usually have curtains and electrical outlets if needed. Some even offer activities to do during weekends, etc. McKinney Falls has a rock shelter and a nice hiking trail.
May 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM

This is a neat spot if you ever don't want to rough it. http://www.artesianlakes.com/HOME/tabid/56/Default.aspx
May 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

volcanogirl,

Thanks. That place looks great when my son is grown up out of the house and I'm ready to retire

Until then, this former Eagle Scout is going to be roughing it with his son...
May 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM

bk, both my brothers are Eagle Scouts, so I hear you. My brother took his son's troop camping, and the other dad hooked up a VCR for the kids and had a generator. My brother was horrified. Hope you guys have fun. Don't forget to make s'mores.
May 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl,

A campout wouldn't be a campout without smores, now would it That's the most important food item to get! With this warm weather, the chocolate should be nice and soft, which makes the smores even that more delectable!

No generator for me, although I've upgraded my camping gear to LED lanterns that are brighter than regular lanterns, LED flashlights, a brand new tent, and other supplies. I'm not much of a shopper, but put me in a sporting goods store in the camping section, and I go to town
May 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Garner State Park is quite something. Thanks to jcb and all for suggesting it, we really enjoyed ourselves. I'll post a trip report pretty soon.
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM

try Fossil Rim, central texas, there are dinosaur tracks, and a wildlife park you can drive thru with giraffes, zebras, ostriches. goggle it and you can get info. really neat dinosaur at a park, impressive, and you can see the dinosaur tracks in the river nearby. camping in area, too
Jun 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
jcb

Hi bkluvsNola - where is that trip report???? Glad you had a nice time.
Jun 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

jcb,

Trip report is here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...te-park-tx.cfm