Looking for weekend advice after 2 days in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello - we're dropping our son at Tufts in late August, staying a couple of days there to get him settled into his apartment and will have Friday-Sunday to do 'something' else. We've toured Boston several times already and i go there on business periodically so the city is well covered. I've considered the cape but it will be an August weekend and have heard that traffic and crowds are terrible; I'm also considering the berkshires, maine, NH, Lake Champlain, etc and would love input from this board. We can leave Boston on Friday morning and our flight back home is at 7pm on Sunday night. We're mid-50's, very active, not into antiques or shopping (maybe an hour or two at most but DH gets bored easily). Cycling, hiking, and great views are top of my list - any ideas??
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Do have any interest in Nantucket? We went sailing, went to the beach, ate great food - we saw a lot of people cycling while we were there.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

I've been advised that anywhere near the cape will be a mad house...not interested in fighting crowds for space on the bike paths, sidwalks or restaurants.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Would you consider getting tickets to a concert at Tanglewood in the Berkshires and staying out there for the weekend? I believe James Taylor is doing a series with the Boston Pops and John Williams.

If you don't want the crowds of the Cape but would like some beach time consider Plum Island. blueinn.com - the inn is pricey but very nice. Newburyport has great dining choices.

Or another option is the Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle, NH. I've stayed there a number of times and have always enjoyed it.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hez

What about Newport, Rhode Island? Granted - it's still going to be busy. Everywhere in New England is busy August weekends - however, there are lots of great places to hike (http://www.destinationnewport.com/hiking.asp) or cycle (http://www.destinationnewport.com/biking.asp). You can go out on a sailboat for a lovely sail ( http://www.sail-newport.com/ ). Tour a few mansions (http://www.newportmansions.org/page7016.cfm), eat some great food, go to the beach etc.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Newport or Boston's North Shore (Gloucester, Rockport, etc.) should give you plenty to do for a long weekend, without as much driving as some other destinations (Lake Champlain, Berkshires, etc.). Be sure to allow plenty of time for Sunday traffic.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM
cw

If you leave Boston on a Friday morning, you'll avoid the weekend traffic no matter where you go. So I wouldn't rule out the Cape because of crowds or traffic. Now that colleges start early, the Cape is less crowded at the end of August than it used to be.

All of the suggestions you've received--Berkshires, North Shore, New Hampshire, and Newport are good ones. You might consider somewhere that has indoor attractions as well, in case the weather doesn't cooperate.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

What about the southern coast of Maine? Kennebunkport or Ogunquit? what are those like? The drive - at least via mapquest - looks easy enough
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Check the CT website that tells what is happening www.ctvisit.com. You can find out about special events, as well as those places that are available year round. There are also lots of places in the state where old, unused railroads have been turned into trails for biking and hiking. In the middle of the state the Airline Trail goes through state forrest and private property and is a nice, safer place to bike or hike.

Or for the end of summer sea side activities, go to Point Judith, RI and take the ferry to Block Island. Leave your car, bring your bike. It is an easy place to get around on by bike.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hez

I'm from Kennebunkport originally. It's a lovely town worth a visit and certainly within driving distance. It will be insanely crowded on a weekend in August though and the traffic back to Boston on Sunday afternoon can be brutal.

Here's a thought - if you're interested in coastal maine why not take the train up there ( http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...21869&ssid=134 ). You can then rent a car there and return it when you catch the train back to Boston. Portland would be a good base - and the easiest to hire a car if you need to.

H