camping in the great smoky mountains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is planning a RV camping trip this summer in the great smoky mountains and need some advice on a good campground. We have 7 year old twins and a 3 year old. I am debating between a campground in the national park and one outside. I would like something quaint, doesn't necessarily need a pool, next to a river. Hook ups would be a plus. Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Check out campgrounds in the Townsend, Tennessee area. It's advertised as the quiet side of the Smokies.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:53 AM

I'm i Brevard NC. We are next to the Pisgah National Forest which has a beautiful campground that I think you would love. The name is Davidson River Campground. French broad River, swimming holes, lots of hiking paths, pet friendly. I hike up there about 3 times a month. Try it

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:14 AM

I have been to Greenbriar, and I like that 'quiet' side of Gatlinburg over the Townsend side. Yes, it is right on a river with a swimming hole, and borders the Park.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

I agree with the Townsend area. We loved Cade's Cove for its beauty & peaceful sense of history.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:04 PM

If you're thinking of camping in the state park, make reservations pronto. They fill up quickly.I'm sure they have a web site.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:46 PM

Just outside of Bryson City, NC is a national park campground for the Smoky's. On the road into that campground there were 1-2 commerical campgrounds. Haven't been there in several years so not sure if this is still true. There are no hookups in the national park campground not sure about the commerical ones. At least one of them did have hot showers. Deep Creek runs very nearby. It is a good inner tube river but be sure to get one with a wooden bottom in it (could be rented at the commerical campgrounds) as there are rocks and a couple of small falls you go over. Be sure to secure your (sun)glasses with a croakie or something as every year people stand under the falls trying to retrieve them.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:35 PM

You could camp right in Bryson City or nearby Cherokee. My parents live there and we go every summer. Love to go tubing at Deep Creek. Bryson City is beautiful. Like a picture postcard.