Swim w/Dolphins in Orlando area

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swim w/Dolphins in Orlando area

I'd like to take my nephew to a place around the Orlando area that will offer us an opportunity to swim with Dolphins.

My sister in law found a place but the price is in the neighborhood of $250 per person. Can that be true.

Does anyone know of anyplace less expensive in Orlando area.

Thanks

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:51 AM

Orlando is inland. There are not a lot of dolphins held in captivity for tourists to loll around with in places that aren't certified marine zoos. Isn't there a place in the Keys. I think that will be the only opportunity you have.

During chilly weather, you can go to Crystal River and dive with the manatees who seek refuge from the cold at warmwater springs. But these springs will be very cold for humans (70s).
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:27 AM

I would ask you to please reconsider the dolphin swim. They are incredibly cruel. I did it once and was sorry ever since. No matter how clean or nice it looks, more than half of the dolphins die within 60 to 90 days of capture.
In order to make an informed decision, please visit:

http://dolphinproject.org/

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11727

(The second site is the Humane Society of the United States' position on SWTD programs.)

---------------------------------

Author: Ally
Date: 02/16/2004, 10:10 am
Message: Agree with Diana. This is an incredibly cruel world for the dolphins, and if you pay to participate, you will be helping to keep the industry alive and more dolphins will be captured and die in these horrible parks.
-------------------------------------

Author: frankie
Date: 02/16/2004, 11:52 am
Message: Another request to ask you to reconsider, and try other activities that are kinder...thanks for listening!

---------------------------------------

Author: suze
Date: 02/16/2004, 01:25 pm
Message: Please don't swim with captive dolphins! Research at the sites mentioned will better explain, than I can, why it is such a bad idea.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:07 AM

Alright, enough of the anti-cruelty gibberish...Sea World Discovery Cove does offer swimming with dolphins,which is probably what your s.i.l. is referring too because it is pricey. All the dolphins there were born at Sea World and live to a ripe old age. They are also very particular about the dolphins interactions with humans and warn you over and over again that the dolphins may not want to come out that day and they don't force them to. That being said, my husband and I went and really enjoyed it. There is more to the park than just the swimming with dolphins, there is a huge snorkling pond and the price includes (or used to) lunch and a 2 day pass to the main Sea World park. Check their website for more info as we were there 2 years ago.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
E

I don't get it, Winnepeg. Not only do you seem to see nothing wrong with a highly artificial entertainment like swimming with dolphins, which belong in the ocean and not in a tank for your convenience; but you want it cut rate! Gee, capturing large, highly intelligent sea mammals is expensive, and keeping them in tanks until they die prematurely cost some dough, too. What, you were expecting a coupon, maybe? "Exploit 2-for-1". Really--what are you trying to teach your nephew?
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:36 AM
14VK8SHN

Oh, I suppose he'd rather hear about the thousands that die a violent death each year to nets, boats and disease.

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:52 AM

Winnepeg, Ignore these trolls. Apparently they wish to impose their beliefs on people without any of the facts related to the programs their slamming. Sea World's program totally stresses the safety and protection of the animals, as well as their conservation programs. To E and others, lighten up and go away.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
14VK8SHN

Fodors has turned into nothing but a politically self-centered bitch forum. Adios, Adieu and good riddance.

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:55 AM

swalter518...

Since you seem to be knowledgeable about Sea World's dolphin program, here is some information you might find interesting.

"Statistics of dolphin deaths during capture and confinement prove that dolphins do not belong in captivity. Consider the fact that Sea World, one of the most recognized captive dolphin facilities in the U.S., reported 93 dolphin deaths between 1971 and 2002. That's an average of 3 dolphins per year, assuming that all dolphin deaths were accounted for."

Doubt you'll find that on the Sea World website, but you will find it on this one:

http://www.freethedolphins.org/facts...h_dolphins.htm
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:11 AM

I'm not crazy about people swimming with dolphins but does anyone have any idea how much we contribute to global warming by our computers, our electric lights, this random cluttering of the internet with our junk -- does anyone think about warning folks about the manatee kills when they suggest boat rentals? How about telling them that when they take those shells along the beach, they're contributing to beach erosion? Or when they stay at waterfront places they're just increasing our taxes when we have to pay for beach redevelopment. How about when we drive our cars how we're destroying the countryside? I could go on and on. We all contribute to the demise of the planet. We're just as much to blame as Sea World.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM

Diana, does this study account for deaths of natural causes (i.e. old age), I doubt it. Also, how many are in captivity and would those dolphins have died of the same causes if not in captivity? I noticed that none of these issues are addressed in this propaganda.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:45 PM

I've been to Discovery Cove - the place ya'll are talking about. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't. Head down to Sanibel - about 2 hours from Orlando. Plenty of dolphins there that will swim very, very close to you.

Its nicer too then a manufactured experience.

JMO
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:49 PM

swalter518,

The numbers I cited are not a "study" or "propaganda." They are numbers that Sea World is REQUIRED to provide to the USDA on an annual basis, and you can find the info on the USDA website.

(Since it's obvious you have not learned anything from all of the other websites I provided links to - including the Humane Society of the United States - perhaps you will believe the US Govt.)

There's nothing wrong with Winnipeg asking about the swtd programs. He/she obviously was trying to get more information about something he/she was interested in doing.

What is WRONG is being given an opportunity to educate oneself about something, and when the overwhelming evidence about it points to its being harmful and cruel, one consciously elects to defend it or engage in it anyway - the ultimate in ugly, selfish behavior.

The good news is that pressure from various organizations are getting through to the US govt., and these despicable programs will slowly but surely be phased out.

Of course places like Sea World are breeding in captivity. They're no longer permitted to capture wild dolphins, so they have to scramble to "replenish" their little golden geese.

If you choose to believe the Sea World drivel that they are solely concerned with the "welfare" of the dolphins they are exploiting at $250 a pop (there's a sucker born every minute), I've got some oceanfront real estate you might be interested in in AZ. :-<
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM

Hi, Winnepeg!
We were there when our children were 10 and 12. It was a wonderful experience, and well worth the money! Our favorite part was actually the snorkeling, rather than the dolphin.
The dolphin experience is not a "swim with the dolphins," but an educational encounter. You are in groups of eight, and learn about their natural habitats, how these in capitivity were acquired and trained, and see them very upclose and personal while learning about their personalities. Although a particular dolphin is assigned to your group, s/he may depart at any time, perhaps to come back later, or perhaps to be replaced by another. We all got to experience their incredible strenth during the "finale" of the class; we each were pulled a short distance by holding onto the fin. It was amazing how muscular and forceful they are.
The rest of the day we swam with the fish and stingrays, wandered the aviary, sipped tropical drinks in the sand, and enjoyed a wonderful cafeteria style lunch.
So, a day ticket (around $90 in 2001)includes everything above, except the dolphin experience, plus a return day to SeaWorld. We would definitely do that again. The dolphin hour was $90 again, and we consider that a once in a lifetime experience, not something we would do again.
Hope this info helps.

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:40 PM

PS: The above was in reference to Discovery Cove, as SWalter referenced regarding "swim with dolphins" in Orlando area.