Search

camera rental

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camera rental

we are planning a trip to honolulu in januaru 2012 and i would like to know if there are any camera rental shops in waikiki.i would like to know if we can possibly rent a car without using a credit card.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM

I've done a lot of photo shots over the last 35 years of travel, and used a lot of different cameras. When, a week before I was to depart for a trip to Yosemite, I found out my camera was broken beyond repair (and the camera shop took over a month before bothering to tell me!!), I asked a competing camera shop about renting a camera for this trip. The reply was simple: for anything more than a day or two, or for anything less than super high quality shots, renting a camera makes no economic sense. You can buy a used camera (and in some cases a brand new one through mail order) for less money than renting one for a week.

If all you need is a few face shots to show that you were actually at a place, buy a disposable.
If you want a 14 MP digital with 5x optical zoom, you can buy one at Walmart for less than $80 -- and they will DEFINITELY accept cash.
If you need a high quality SLR digital, most any camera store in the US will sell a used one for less money than renting the exact model in Hawaii for a week.

I found out years ago that renting camera equipment for more than a few days won't save any money. I just thought I'd let you know.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Do you mean not present a credit card when you rent a car or pay your final bill with cash?

Some companies will allow you to put a cash deposit in lieu of a credit card. You'd need to talk to the company you're dealing with to see what their requirements are.

The deposit is in addition to whatever amount you must give to cover the cost of the rental. If you use a debit card, they will place a hold on your account that may take up to a week to release it.

You can also present a credit card at rental, then pay the final bill with cash. When you return the car, the agent will usually ask if you want to keep the charges on the credit card and just answer "no". Then, you'll need to go to the rental counter to settle your bill.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Here's a link to the Thrifty car rental website about renting a car without a credit card. http://tinyurl.com/4y3lj86 Don't know if all the car rental companies are the same. But for Thrifty looks like you need to have a debit card.

Maybe someone who has actually rented a car without a credit card will reply.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 05:16 PM

As for renting a car without a credit card, it's difficult but possible. Basically you have to put up several hundred dollars in cash when you pick up the car, which is returned when the bill is settled. My local Enterprise rental dealer seems to specialize in renting to people without credit, and I hear the spiel about how it works all the time when I pick up a car there.

It'd be just as easy to keep that money in a bank, get a credit card from that bank (secured, if necessary), and then use that credit card to rent the car.

Car rental places themselves strongly urge you NOT to use a debit card for car rental, as they put a hold on your account for up to two weeks after you return the car.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always just pick up a couple disposable cameras. Been using them for years when I travel. Then you don't have to worry about having a fancy camera at the beach, in your rental car, etc. You can have it developed and put onto CD/digital or just get prints.