Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Experience with Rental Car Paid for with a Debit/Check Card?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello... just wonderin' if anyone has had good luck (or bad) with trying to rent a car with a debit or check card. Even though it may have the MC/Visa logo on it, if the money is truly drawn on only your bank account I know some rental agencies won't do it.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM

I would be very surprised if any car company would allow you to pick up a car with just a debit card.Most will allow you to pay for the rental with the debit card when the car is returned.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM
GoTravel

Right when ATM/Check cards first came out you could use them to rent cars because I did accidently instead of using my credit card. They drained some ungodly amount of money out of my account.

I don't think they accept them any longer.

Hotels will also take a chunk of money out of your account (pre-authoriztion) if you use one for incidentals.

I use them to eat, shop, transportation, and attractions when I travel.

I also get USAirways FF miles off mine.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Some companies do accept debit cards that have a Visa or MC logo, but be forewarned that at the time the rental period starts they deduct an amount much more than the expeced rental cost. With a credit card this is no big deal, as they just reduce the amount of the charge when you return the car, and that's what you pay when you get your credit card bill. BUT with a debit card they actually take the funds out of your account, so you do not have access to those funds while traveling. It is, in effect, just like putting up a cash deposit. There is no good reason to use a debit card for car rental unless you have no other option.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM
GoTravel

Forgot to mention, one of the few times I used a debit card for incidentals I was at the Hawthorne Suites (now the Doubletree) in downtown Charleston, SC.

I had done a trade out with the GM so my hotel room was free of charge.

The front desk left my card on the room and charged the next guests three night stay on my debit card.

When the checks started bouncing, I hit the roof.

The Hawthorne did eventually straighten everything out, paid my bank and my vendors.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I happen to be in the same predicament as you, Idnas, and here is my way of getting around the system and avoiding having extra deposits and such mysteriously disappear out of my account:

I have a Visa Check Card. I deal mainly with Budget Car Rental, so I don't know if this works just as well with other companies, but so far, no problem. I joined their FastBreak and Perfect Drive Programs which requires you to fill out a form and fax or mail it back to them. When you fill out the form, just enter the info as if it was a regular credit card. DO NOT put down it's a debit card. Then you will get your membership card in the mail, and use your membership number whenever you reserve the car. Viola! They only ask for your license, and after you return the car, only then is the amount of the rental deducted out of your account and no one is the wiser....

I have worked this same system with hotels by joining their programs, however when they require a deposit, that's when I have a problem! (I just try to avoid those hotels. LOL)
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Should also note, that sometimes this requires entering your preference information and such online once you start your account with them....
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:11 PM

I used a debit card this past August for a rental - at pick up and for payment. Trying to remember... Maybe it was Advantage?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Appreciate the advice!