Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Calling all Baltimoreans: who serves the best crabcake in town?

Sep 26th, 2000, 08:44 AM
Liza

I will be in Baltimore on business next month, and I am looking forward to some REALLY good crabcakes. Where should I go?

Sep 26th, 2000, 09:12 AM
Crab E. Cake

Phillips Seafood,without question, either Inner Harbor or Annapolis.

Sep 26th, 2000, 09:56 AM
consumer

Isn't Phillips the restaurant that was chastised for saving money by using imported crab meat(from thousands of miles away) instead of fresh local crab meat?

Sep 28th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Joe

Try Duda's in Fell's Point.

Sep 28th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Beth

Obrycki's
1727 E. Pratt St.
Baltimore, MD 21231
410-732-6399
Haven't tried it myself, but friends always mention Obrycki's. They have a website so check it out. The best crab cakes in Baltimore were my mother's!!!

Sep 28th, 2000, 07:25 PM
Donna

I was born and raised in Baltimore, but have lived in New England for the last almost 30 years. Whenever I return, I have crab cakes (or Crab Imperial) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The best were my mothers and my Aunt Phyllis's. Be advised that you can find "best" in the most unassuming places. One year, we stayed at the Marriott in Hunt Valley just outside the city. A restaurant in the mall across the way had a restaurant where they served magnificent crab cakes (two of them). Same plate was half the price at lunch as dinner. On another trip, we "feasted" at Phillips on the harbor at lunch. At dinner, a tiny little place nearby had better ones, more than double the size (I mean HUGE), half the price. One year, we stumbled upon positively magnificent (and reasonably priced) crab cakes at the airport. On recent trips, Phillips has been quite disappointing, particularly the service.

Sep 28th, 2000, 08:10 PM
Rudy

You can't get a bad crabcake in Baltimore. Try Gibby's in Timonium, north of Baltimore. It's on Padonia Road. The drive out there is worth it (or take the light rail). The crabcakes are exceptional. The restaurant is very informal; you can show up in shorts and a t-shirt.

Sep 29th, 2000, 04:16 PM
Taylorboy

Try Angelino's on Hartford Road in Parkville area. Known by locals to have the biggest, meatiest cakes in town.

Oct 4th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Laura

Timbukto is 5 minutes from BWI off of Coke Cola drive. Yum! Huge crab cakes without filler.There and their sister resturant G & M, which is off of the Baltimore beltway. Any local can tell you how to get there. Very casual. Get there early or eat at the bar or be prepared for a long wait. I know its still good because I was just there last week. The other posts about Phillips are right. There food and service has really gone downhill.