Notices

California Seaside

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Melanie

California Seaside

I'm looking for quiet, small, luxury place somewhere on the California coastline. We don't care about nightlife -- our idea of a good evening is to sit on the balcony and listen to the ocean. Days are fine to just sit on the beach, or poke around.

Where is this place?

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Sean

La Jolla (north of San Diego) is really nice -- look up the Valencia hotel (very nice, and fits your small luxurious and on the coast parameters). While not small, probably the most best hotel on the beach anywhere is the Ritz Carlton Laguna Nigel. There are also very nice places in Big Sur which would be secluded -- but I haven't personally been to any of them.

Good luck.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 06:37 PM
dembody

Elk, California is a beautiful little coastal town below mendocino. The ocean has these beautiful rock formations and the town is lovely and quaint. There is a wonderful inn called the Elk Cove Inn. Website:www.elkcoveinn.com

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Susan

Melanie, the California coastline is vast and varied in it's climate and scenery. Do you want warm, sunny weather? Rugged, secluded coastline? What time of year are you travelling?

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 02:23 PM
minbrooklyn

http://www.ventanainn.com/ventana.htm

incredible views. I ate lunch at the restaurant on my way from San Francisco to Hearst Castle.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 08:22 PM
joe

The Montecito Inn, or the Biltmore, just south of Santa Barbara

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 06:51 AM
garyt

Melanie - Try the Marina Dunes Resort in Marina...www.marinadunes.com . Get an ocean front bungalow suite (upper floor) that comes with a private balcony hot tub, fireplace and no one around. If you want spa treatments, pick up the phone, if you want people, you are 10 minutes from Monterey.

There are miles of ocean beach, nature preserve and nothing but the pounding of waves... ahhh how i miss it...

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Leone

Try Malibu ... and the Casa Malibu. It's perfect for what you want. Ciao

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:21 AM
meg

The Highlands Inn in Carmel is lovely, elegant, and, of course, expensive. It has a wonderful restaurant and the rooms have balconies that overlook the ocean. Even breakfast on the cafe balcony is peaceful, with wonderful scenery.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 03:56 PM
janis

Melanie - the Calif. coastline is 1,000 miles long! You need to give us some more info before any useful suggestions are possible. Near SF? LA? San Diego? along the North coast? B&B or Luxury resort? Driving from? or Flying from? Warm weather? Rocky coastline or gentle beaches?

All of the suggestions so far are fine -- BUT - Highlands Inn or Ventanna don't make sense from San Diego / Elk is a looong drive from LA / La Jolla is crazy from SF.

More details please . . . . . .

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Susan

I am also looking for a beautiful destination on the coast during 9/28/02-10/6/02.

This will be to surprise my husband for his 40th birthday.

I would like to surprise him with a luxury resort as well as a romantic one!

Thanks

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Monique

The first two luxury romantic resorts that come to mind are La Auberge in Del Mar north of San Diego. Not ocean front but just about 300 feet from across a small village street. Dining options are numerous at the resort and in Del Mar. Lots of little shops and cafes to walk into. Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. Ocean front down some steps. Stunning scenery and rooms. Lush folliage and good service. Not much within a close walk but beautiful all the same. Laguna is about 40 minutes in traffic on the expressway from John Wayne Airport in Orange county.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:55 AM
x

Don't know where on the coast you want to be but I think this is a really romantic spot. http://www.innatdepothill.com/depot.html

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:59 AM
kam

Green Gables Inn or Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. Small town for browsing, some good restaurants and you can walk the 17 mile drive beaches and watchthe animals and waves. In October the monarch butterflies come and fill the trees. Fly to San Jose and then about an hour drive south.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:05 PM
L

I would pick Carmel, Pacific Grove, or Big Sur over the Marina Dunes any day.

As for a luxury resort, Pebble Beach, Ventana, Highland inn

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:11 PM
Kat

Another vote for Ventana Inn at Big Sur. Spectacular in all ways.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:45 PM
xxx

Since this was originally posted in October 2001, I'm guessing that the trip has all ready come and gone.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:26 PM
Bodi

www.postranchinn.com
in Big Sur CA,first choice for quiet

www.ritz-carlton.com
in Half Moon Bay CA, first choice for sound of surf.

Both exceptional dining

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:52 AM
xxx

Doesn't anyone read? This post is from several months ago!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:00 AM
jan

Still includes valuable info for some. I for one appreciate the ttt
Thanks