California Here I Come!!

Search

California Here I Come!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 08:13 AM
Sue

California Here I Come!!

Need some help re: hotel choices in San Diego-
Have reservations for the Ramada Limited Old Town and the Residence Inn Central San Diego (Kearny Mesa)... The pros and cons so far- renting a van and don't know how much parking is around San Diego ; believe Old Town there is a stop on the trolley and can take this to other places (planning on visiting San Diego Zoo and Sea World), Residence Inn has a full hot breakfast buffet and light meals with wine/beer in the evenings that we'll be there. Any rants and raves for either of these places? Thanks alot for your help.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 08:35 AM
Elizabeth

I live in San Diego so I don't know much about the hotels. I can tell you that the one in Old town is closer to things you want to do. Kearny Mesa is more a business area.

Don't count on the trolly to take you everywhere. It is no substitute for the Subway systems in the East. Check on routes before you make assumptions.

San Diego does have a good freeway system and as long as you stay off during rush hour you can get along fine. The zoo and Sea World are both easily reached by freeway and both have ample parking (sea world charges).

Most places you visit downtown will charge for parking. Most places outside of downtown have free and ample parking. The good thing is almost everything visitors want to see are not in downtown ;-)

If you rent a car you then have the option to go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park -- A unique kind of open air zoo. It's part of the San Diego Zoo, but they are about 45 minutes to an hour driving time apart.

If I were you I would go with Old Town and rent a car. There are LOTS of hotels near old town in what is called "Hotel Circle" It's lots of hotels in a small area near to where 2 freeways meet. Most of them are quite nice -- a lot of conventions are held there. I am sure you could find another one that offers breakfast.

Good Luck, and if you are coming in the winter, bring clothes for both cool weather and warm weather. It could be 50 degrees or 80 degrees during the day, you never know until you wake up ;-)

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 09:05 AM
Barbara

Sue, the Ramada in Old Town is quite nice and I would also recommend it over a hotel on Kearny Mesa. You will need some kind of vehicle. The Trolley doesn't go to the Zoo, any of the other areas of Balboa park (museums, Reuben H. Fleet Space Center) or Sea World. Palces where it's difficult to park are downtown (the Trolley will take you there) and, during December, any shopping mall. From Old Town, you can take the Trolley to Fashion Valley which, IMHO, is the best mall in San Diego.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
xxx

the residence inn is close to hyway 163 which will get you connected to everything so convenience wise it is in a good location. but, it is a business type neighborhood. some good restaurants around but nothing fancy.
you'd probably be more happy in old town. it looks like the hotel is pretty close to I-5 so I'd ask for a room facing away from that noise. old town has quite a few restaurants in it which you could walk to (go to casa de bandini and if you like margaretta's order one). this would be a nicer area if you enjoy evening walks.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 06:49 PM
Sue

Thanks for your help everyone! So for "ambiance" and walking, we should choose Old Town. I got a great deal at the Ramada Limited there so I guess we'll go with that one. I'm sure we can have a quick snack in our room in the morning or get something on our way out. Any one else prefer the Residence Inn over the Ramada in Old Town. I just found a SUPER deal at the Wyndham but I think the parking fees and taxes are gonna kill me! Boy- would I love to stay there... can anyone convince me of splurging on that one (Wyndham Emerald Plaza)? Thanks again!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Curious

Hey Sue, how was your trip to DisneyLand? I've been reading for awhile and weren't you planning a trip a few months ago and asking very similar questions about the Anaheim area? Either you travel quite a bit or you just enjoy gathering information.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Sue

Wow, Curious... you remembered me! My trip is in a few weeks... Yep- still going to Anaheim and then onto San Diego. We are all very excited and counting the days. Don't have enough days in San Diego though (going first to the Wild Animal Park on our way from Anaheim and then only 2 full days in San Diego- boo hoo... planning on the Zoo and then Sea World the next day). Wish we could skip Sea World and explore the city more but I don't think my 7 year old will go for it! Can anyone convince me to skip Sea World? Any rants and raves about it? Thanks!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 02:53 AM
loangalsal

Just went to San Diego in October with two 9 year olds. We all preferred Sea World over the Zoo, so if you are trying to eliminate one, that would be my recommendation. The zoo is wonderful, but Sea World has lots of entertaining shows the kids would like. We stayed at the Pacific Terrace Inn right on the ocean and really enjoyed it. Heated outdoor pool for the kids and nice breakfast included in the room price. Not cheap, but thought it was worth it. The best meal we had on our trip was at "Sallys" at the Hyatt. Excellent food, beautiful setting, nice restaurant. If you will be there on Saturday night, check out the live music at Seaport Village.Walking distance from Sally's, so we did both that evening, what a great time.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Monique

Sue as a former San Diego native and mother of kids in that same age group do NOT go to both the zoo and the wild animal park. It is essentially the same thing just in different settings. I would pick the WAP over the zoo and leave it at that. Do the monorail ride at the WAP and then walk around a bit and then head out highway 78 and drive down the coast from Oceanside to La Jolla.

You are going to miss the best of what San Diego has to offer IMO.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Barbara

Sue, as a current and long-term San Diego resident whose children were born here and are now in their late teens, I have to disagree with Monique. The Wild Animal Park is great, but children of elementary school age are going to find more to look at and interest them at the Zoo. Don't miss the ever-popular-with-young-kids reptile house! When you go to the Zoo, try not to spend the whole day there (not easy!) and leave time to stroll around Balboa Park and visit a museum. Sea World is good fun, Sue. Commercial fun, but still fun. You will enjoy it!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Sue

Thanks again to all of you! Now I'm really confused! LOL... only kidding. It's going to be hard to choose between the zoo and the wap. We are going to the wap in the afternoon (after 4) to get the discount and to see the "festival of lights". What are the high points of the zoo and Sea World so we can have at least a half day in the afternoon for something else (museum, harbor cruise)? I want to do it all ! UGH - not enough time. Thanks again for any help.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 03:47 AM
loangalsal

Sorry to say, but you are trying to fit in too much. We were there 5 days and it was too short. We were at Sea World from 10am to dinnertime and still did not get to see it all. It is too bad these attractions don't open earlier as we could have fit more in. We had the same challenge with too much to do in too litle time. I recommend to pick the few things you are most interested in and leave the rest for another trip. Have fun!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Monique

Well I was going to start up with how long I lived there and the fact that all my kids were born there too. LOL this is one of the reasons I left a few years ago, attitude.
But anyways my mother in law is a major donor to the zoological society and I grew up not 5 miles from the WAP. I have been way to many times to count and my eyes start to glaze just thinking about ever going again. Yes the zoo is great in San Diego and there is a lot to see. But having also been to some zoos in other big cities and other countries it is really just a zoo and not even my favorite. The WAP is completey unique.

Do what you want to do I guess and all vacations to other places always have a bunch of things crammed into it with never enough time but IMO San Diego is just so much more than the zoo and WAP.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Jane

I just returned from California on the 27th of November, and spent the last 3 days in San Diego. We stayed at the Westin Horton Plaza (55.00 per nt thru Priceline), and payed 19.00 per night to park our car. There were lots of parking lots around within a few blocks that had cheaper parking, hubby was just too lazy.
We spent a half day at Mission Beach...not as impressive and clean as the beaches in the L.A. area, maybe just the time of year? It was still fun to be at the ocean, listening to the surf and watching the boogie boarders, surfers and volleyball players.
We spent a couple of hours at the photography museum in Balboa park, which was interesting, and there are several other museums there as well, depending on you interests - FYI - museums are all closed on Mondays.
We also went to La Jolla Cove and to Childrens Pool to see the seals. We watched the sun set from here, with was beautiful.
We spent our last day at the zoo. Got to see the orphaned polar bears playing in their plunge pool - they were quite comical and had everyone laughing with their antics. Also saw the Giant Pandas, which where absolutely beautiful. Other than those two things, it is really just another zoo. I guess I was expecting it to be spectacular - World Famous, etc. We were at the Sydney Zoo last year, which was very impressive. Even though I was a bit disappointed with the Zoo, it was worth going just to see the Pandas. I would plan on getting there when it opens and spend about 4 hours at the most. Check the zoo news boards to see which animals are on view at specific times only and see those first. We saw baby tiger triplets, the polar bears, a baby giraffe - all were only out from 9am to 11am. The Pandas were on view all day. The baby Hippo was not out that day at all. I would just get the basic admission, skip the bus tour, and ride the skytram one way only to the other side of the zoo ($2) and work your way back.
I would be interested in how much better the viewing/setting is at Wild Animal Park. I found that it was very difficult to see a lot of the animals. It was hard to see through the cages and many of the enclosures seemed sparce and baren (sp?). The animals seemed totally out of place, except for the Pandas - which seems to be the main draw. They are treated like visiting royalty.
Have a great trip and enjoy yourselves...remember you can't do it all!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Monique

No it isn't just the time of year in regards to the polution on mission bay. It is so dirty and stinky and has been shut down so many times I won't let my kids go in the water there even though my grandma summers at Deanza Cove.

In regards to the WAP I do prefer it as a setting more than the zoo. As you said there are a couple of good exhibits at the zoo but IMO it isn't stellar.
I have to preface my animal comments by saying I am WAY over exposed to the zooalogical society of san diego as my mother in law is a major donor and I have attended a number of functions including one at Joan Embrys house where we were allowed very up close views of rare animals. I got to pet a baby kangaroo.
Anyways if I had to pick between the 2 and you would have to drag me kicking and screaming because I know the shows by heart and have had way to much of it I would choose the WAP. I like the monorail where you can see the animals roam on acres and in their natural(as they could get it) enviornment. Lots of the enclosures are very low fenced with a great view of the animals in the rest of the park as well. I also liked the lorikeet landing where you could buy nectar and the birds would land on you. The gorilla exhibit is a riot and you have a great view when the crowds are down. Also my husband went on the Photo caravan at the WAP out through by where the monorail goes. He loved it. I passed because once again just to much of a good thing.
The one zoo thing I do like is that around this time of year on the weekends they do a little many exhibit at the zoo as part of the Prado on the green that is similar to to the night lights thing they do at the WAP.
But all in all I am glad I didn't renew my passes after holding them for a few years. Just got burnt out I suppose.