California Coast Trip

Search

California Coast Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Coast Trip

We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, and Carmel, taking the Hwy. 1 drive. Would like a romantic setting. What can you tell me about Santa Barbara Inn, Inn at Morro Bay, and Dolphin Inn at Carmel? Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM

The Santa Barbara Inn is located across from East Beach and is good for those who enjoy walks on the beach. We had an ocean view room with a balcony which was nice but nothing special. The restaurant in the hotel, Citronelle is considered very good but I haven't eaten there.
The Inn at Morro Bay is situated in a state park next to a nature preserve. Only some rooms have water views. The rooms are well appointed and I think they all have patios or balconies. The setting is quiet.
I haven't been to the Dolphin Inn so I can't help you there.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions for alternate accomodations?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I too have stayed at SB Inn. The location's great but the rooms are so so. It will depend on your price range what alternatives in SB to recommend. There are nice B&B's and small inns there, but again, don't know your price range. Inn at MB was a nice romantic getaway for hubby and me.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

to Laurenzo,
Thanks, A romantic place is what we want. Probably top price in SB would be $300/night. Your comment on MB is very helpful.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Have lots of suggestions but can't post more now as am at work. Will try to post more later today or tonight.

Do you prefer B & B's or hotel/inns?
Any particular reason you targeted those lodging choices, especially?
If you share how they came to the front of the list...will know more how to advise. Thanks so much!
And congrats on the special anniversary!

Also, do you need water views? (or not so important...is the lodging/romance factor primary over the views?)
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

My sister is familiar with Santa BArbara and suggested the SB Inn, even though they hadn't stayed there. Thought we wanted near the ocean without paying for the very most expensive. A AAA Travel Agent found the other two. We want to pay enough to be a special vacation, but stay within reason. Any other ideas are certainly welcomed. Thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Harbor View Inn..harborviewinnsb.com is right across from the ocean and has great reviews on tripadvisor, although I have never stayed there. It looks nice and is newer. If romance is more imp. than an ocean view, I would consider a B&B. SB has many to choose from, the nicest being the 5* Simpson House Inn. My hubby & I walked through it out of curiosity one time and have friends who stayed for a special anniversary and loved it. There are less expensive ones to choose from that are nice as well. I have a friend who loves Hotel Santa Barbara and stays there annually. It is a small boutique hotel on State St. Inn on Summer Hill is a nice inn actually in Summerland (South of SB). Inn of the Spanish Garden and the Andalucia Hotel are newer and have great reviews as well. McDuff, I hope this helps some. Congrats on 30 years!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Wow, I'm doing the same thing....30th anniversary. But I don't need the romance....LOL
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:41 PM

The Old Yacht Club Inn is right near the beach and very comfy and nice. GREAT breakfasts and a great location in general. We haven't stayed there in a few years but the website still looks very nice.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM

In Carmel, across the street from Dolphin Inn, is Svensgaard's. Same chain, but nicer setting because Dolphin's rooms look down on their parking lot. IMO the nicest B&B is Vagabond's House. Same location as the other two, very romantic, quiet, rooms arranged around a pretty courtyard. I posted a review, with photos, on www.tripadvisor.com