Search

Arlington Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arlington Hotels

Hubby and I (seniors) are spending 8 days seeing the sights of Washington DC and area. We do have a car, but would prefer not to drive in DC! We would also like to walk to the Metro and restaurants. We are considering the Holiday Inn at Key Bridge/Rossyln, are there others that might be closer to restaurants or the metro. Our budget is about 175$ per night. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 11:15 AM

It depends when you are going, rates of hotels vary a lot in DC area depending on time of year and day of the week, also. There are dozens of hotels near metro stops all over the area. But $175 is fairly cheap by DC standards during most of the year.

That HOliday Inn at Key Bridge isn't too bad as it's not too far to metro, but that area is kind of business-y for my tastes not sure the restaurants would be so good a choice right near hotel, it's a major traffic area, also.

I think something in Arlington around Courthouse metro might be more convenient, or the Silver Spring metro station would be great. The Sheraton in SS is probably more than that (your dates would help to know), but the COurtyard by Marriott is definitely in that price range, even cheaper. That is a great location for restaurants and entertainment (movies etc right nearby), and only about two blocks to the metro station. I'd much rather stay there than the Key Bridge location. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-spring-north/
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 11:21 AM

sorry, I just realized you particularly want Arlington? Is that because you are coming from the west?

okay, the Residence Inns by Marriott near Courthouse metro is nicer than the Hilton Garden Inn and more convenient a bit, probalby is more than $175, though.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 12:41 PM

There are a couple of hotels right at Ballston stop on Metro (a Hilton and I forget the other chain). My favorite hotel is 1/4 mile from Ballston stop, though - a relatively new Residence Inn. Accommodations, service, everything has been wonderful in the dozen or so times I have stayed there. I have paid as little as $125 for a room - but sometimes it is more if they consider it peak time. Standard buffet breakfast included.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

We thought Arlington would be closer than Alexandria...we are not familiar with the area at all...so we just want to be close to metro and restaurants. We will be there the 2nd week in October. We are coming in from Charleston, SC. We appreciate any suggestions and advice.....Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 01:41 PM

We stayed at the Americana Hotel in Arlington - free parking, free wi-fi, free continental breakfast, and free shuttle to the Crytal City Metro station, which is about 10-15 minutes' walk from the hotel. www.americanahotel.com

Lee Ann
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
October is a popular time to visit DC so hotel rates will not be at their cheapest by any means.

Rosslyn is a mostly a business district so it's a little lacking in charm. That HI is an older property but it is well located near a metro station, bus routes and walking distance across the river into Georgetown. There are some good restaurants there but there are far more interesting neighborhoods which would be a priority for me if I was staying somewhere for a week.

Hotels near Ballston or Courthouse metro stations would be good choices.

Alexandria is a slightly longer metro ride into the city. But coming from Charleston, I think you might really enjoy staying in Old Town which is a destination itself, a very charming place with lots of history, shops and some of the area's best restaurants. There is a Hampton Inn in Old Town Alexandria w/in spitting distance of the King Street metro station.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of parking your car -- prices can range from $20-$50 a night which will add up over a week. You are correct in saying you don't want to be driving in DC. It's a very walkable city and the metro and Circulator bus routes are easy to use.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

So many choices! How about the Hilton or comfort inn, Ballston area....thanks for the info on parking!
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 02:41 PM

I just booked our stay at The Mayflower Hotel, th Autograph collection. We only paid $119/night. It got good reviews in Yelp and trip advisor.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about the Hilton or comfort inn, Ballston area.

Not a fan of Comfort Inn and that one is located next to the entrance to a major highway. The Hilton is very close to the metro. I have no idea about its proximity to restaurants.

If the OP can book the Mayflower for $119 a night for those dates she should grab that reservation in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

OH WOW Therese914.....however did you get that rate, I just checked and it was 339$....
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 07:29 PM

Know that HI well, have stayed there many times on business when it was available within per diem rates. Clean and adequate but not anything approaching posh, short walk to metro in a generally lackluster neighborhood with mostly fast food type places. Does have a restaurant on the top floor with spectacular views but the food is nothing to write home about. Does offer free parking, a real rarity in DC area, as well as an indoor pool and fitness center.

Would not recommend Silver Spring for tourists, but something near Courthouse or Ballston metro stations(on Orange line) would be just fine. Both those locations have seen much development and improvement in the last several years.

During the second week of October (the beginning of the federal fiscal year) may be a challenge to find something for $175/night, may need to go up a bit. you may want to do a search on a site like booking.com or hotwire then book directly with the hotel. And do pay attention to the cost of parking!
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Therese, just an aside - we stayed at the Mayflower a couple of trips ago, and it's a very nice hotel is a great location. The rooms are a little old-fashioned, but still very nice and very comfortable, and large.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 07:12 PM

There are all sorts of restaurant within walking distance of Ballston Metro stop
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My husband just stayed at the Hilton Ballston Arlington and said it was really nice. The metro is just downstairs from the hilton. There are plenty of restaurants you can walk to.