Search

CA Wine Country

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
kealalani

CA Wine Country

So, I've been on these boards enough that I should already know, but.....

When is the best time of year to visit Napa Sonoma etc that is not high season filled with tourists, but a bumper month of great groves and wine and weather.

Thanks, this triip is long overdue and I'd like to choose the month before starting the Yountville, Healsburg Monteray San Fran questions!

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April comes to mind with your criteria. Hills may still be green here-not so chilly (although I know where you live and it's never chilly there, LOL!)

It's delicious in Sept & Oct,
but that's the crush, or harvest and it's busy !

R5
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
kealalani

Thanks so much razz!

Yes after the past few seasons in my neck of the woods it is hard to leave what have been the best months of the year, and value months to, by the coast - Sept/Oct.

I appreciate your advice. Looking to my schedule as April just may be what the doctor ordered! Thankyou friend!

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM

We went in May of '07 and altho the weather was unseasonably warm, (90s!!) on the days we were there, it is typically lovely then and the rainy time is usually gone by, from what the locals told us. We went on week days and had most tasting rooms to ourselves as well as often being the only car on the little winding roads....I would go again at the same time of year on any subsequent trip.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Razzle wrote exactly what I would've. Hiya Razz!

Kealalani - sounds like you're planning a nice trip.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM

Hiya R5...I've been the first week in April three times. Last year it poured every single day....remember guys? Unusual. Usually it's in the upper 60's and the crowds are minimal, so that's fun. One year we went the first week in November. That was my absolute favorite time. The colors in the vineyards were awesome. On top of that, all the flowers were still in bloom. The negative side of April is that the vines are just budding and the vineyards are rather stark.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
kealalani

Gosh you make it sound as wonderful as New England coast in early autum. Now I'm torn! The thrill of the harvest and autumn light or the thrill of tranquility, deals and sooner!

Good things to ponder!

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Still voting for early May. We were there from the 9th to the 11th and the flowers on the grounds of the inn were gorgeously in full bloom as well as the air being perfumed by orange blossoms on the trees. It was heavenly!