Feb vacation from New Brunswick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am visiting my girlfriend who is a student at Rutgers and stays in New Brunswick. Additionally we want to travel a bit around the place(would have a rental car), we like a bit of off-the-beaten-path places, say some national park or a secluded beach. So any suggestions for a 10 day vacation in the 1st/2nd week of Feb?
My biggest concern is that I come from sunny Singapore with no idea of how a real nasty winter looks like.(the only other place in the US i have visited and stayed in is Bay Area, California) So I'm sure the snow might surprise/ruin my plans of visiting the parks.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Hello floydude. I am assuming you mean NewBrunswick in Canada? If so you will get more responses by posting this on the Canada Board.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM

No - He means New Brunswick New Jersey. And you will find plenty of secluded beaches - they will all be completely deserted - except by polar bears. I'm afraid you have no idea of the weather. Last night it was 7 degrees (farenheit - not centrigrade) - that's 25 degrees below freezing - in NYC. the beaches may be a little warmer due to the proximity to the water - but not a place you could really spend more than about 5 minutes.

In Feb the high temperature for the day will rarely go much above freezing - this is not the weather for any except winter outdoor activities (skiing, skating etc) - and New Jersey typically doesn;t have enough snow for those. You should plan on primarily indoor activities unless you are going to travel to a winter resort. There are many ski resorts in Vermont - or you even have the time to go to Canada - but this is not inexpensive - and you will need to reserve in advance.

Note; you will need a heavy winter coat, gloves, scarf, warm hat, heavy sweaters and waterproof boots if you are going to do anything outdoors - even walk a couple of blocks.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Oh, ooooops, sorry, LOL. I didn't read the Rutgers part.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:28 AM
MIG

One thought...you could drive up to Quebec. It is a beautiful city with great restaurants to visit and you can ski nearby if that interests you.

You are also very close to New York of course - there is so much to do there.

If you want something more rural, maybe drive to Stowe Vermont instead or Lake Placid, NY area instead. Both are great winter vacation areas within driving distance.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:02 PM
vcl

Okay, here are a few New Jersey suggestions.

Long Beach Island is open for business for walking along the shore, visiting Barnegat Lighthouse and eating some really good food at places like The Engleside and Tuckers. Just avoid Mondays and Tuesdays when almost all restaurants are closed.

Sussex County has skiing -- and they make snow. As long as it isn't raining or into an extreme February thaw, the slopes are worth visiting and it's a pretty part of New Jersey. (Yes, we do have them.)

For history, head out to Morristown and Washington's Headquarters. It's a neat museum and the cold will lend authenticity to your visit. Washington and his army froze their tricorns off there one winter, as the docents will inform you.

If the weather warms a bit, head over to Grounds for Sculpture (look it up on the internet.) Seward Johnson's outdoor sculpture park is absolutely fascinating and if you want to splurge, make a reservation at Rats, one of New Jersey's best restaurants.

Should you want to go a little further afield, head over the border into Pennsylvania to visit the Brandywine Valley. Great art at the Wyeth Museum. Great greenhouses at Longwood Gardens. Great house at Winterthur. The latter two were once duPont properties.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, yeah i would be visiting New Brunswick in NJ, and looks like the weather's going to play spoilsport! Thanks for reminding me of the woolens i need to pack, in Singapore if you can spot a shop selling warm clothing, chances are even the shop attended will laugh if you walk towards them Thanks all the same!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Just in case it's not too late. Consider grabbing a map and driving straight south. Thru NJ & Cape May, across the Ferry to Delaware and into the Eastern Shore to Virginia and Williamsburg. The weather is bearable and the prices will be affordable.95N from Richmond will speed the trip back to civilization.