Search

Winter trip W to E coast options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter trip W to E coast options

Hi Fellow Travelers

My partner and my two younger teenage girls are planning to travel to the USA this winter. We are arriving San Francisco later December, spending a few days in San Fran, Monterey, and surrounding area before heading to Reno for NY with some family friends, so the first week is taken care of.

We plan to leave Reno January 1st and need to be in New York by the 6th- 7th of January. We basically have 5-6 days to get across to the East Coast. My partner has never spent any time in the snow (which my girls and I love) so I'd like to introduce him to a magical snowy climate. Sking is not an option as my partner is not a skier, I'd prefer more time for a ski trip and this trip is last minute so skiing has not been budgeted for.

However - we would love to experience the following - between Reno and NY.
Snowshoeing
Dog Sledding
National parks
Winter Wonderland and Cute Picturesque little towns
(PS never been dog-sledding or snow shoeing)

One option is to take the Californian Zephyr to Denver and hire a car around that area - for 4 days and then fly to NY. The Californian Zephyr arrives Denver around 4pm on the 2nd January (24 hour trip from Reno)

Another option is to fly directly to the East Coast and spend some time in a New England state.

Open to any suggestions - being able to drive around would be an advantage.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.
Kind regards
Belinda
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

I've just re-read my post. NY appears twice and refers to both New York and New Years eve/day.

Just to reiterate
Reno until New Year's day
Heading to New York where we need to be by the January 6/7th
Need to fill in 5-6 days from January 1st - January 6th/7th - between Reno and New York
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>so I'd like to introduce him to a magical snowy climate
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 06:40 PM

I like Janis's suggestion of Lake Tahoe, or alternatively I'd go somewhere in Colorado with a tubing hill. Tubing is a more fun intro to winter sports than snowshoeing. Snowshoeing depends a lot of snow conditions- how fresh the snow is, how the weather is. It ranges from perfect to downright miserable work. Pick a good resort area with a variety of activities that everyone can do. The kids could always go to ski school while your partner and you do something else. Maybe hot springs would appeal as well. You'll be there for nearly a week so if the weather report looks good, you can always wing it and go snow shoeing after all. Another idea would be snowmobiling.

http://www.colorado.com/articles/sno...dding-colorado

I've never done dog sledding, it's not appealing to me, but this came up on google-

http://www.colorado.com/articles/dog-sledding-colorado

As Janisj mentioned, zephyr can run late, and you don't have time for that, just fly. The train will NOT be cheaper than flying at any rate. I'm not really sure how a car would be an advantage. You can fly into Denver and catch the mountain shuttle to vail, breckenridge, etc. it would avoid winter driving entirely. Or if you really wanted to, you could rent a car.
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"...need to be in New York by the 6th- 7th of January."

Personally, I like as close to a sure thing travel-wise as I can arrange, practically speaking. Planning in advance to go to snowy places in winter with a need to be anywhere on a particular date isn't something I'd be inclined to do.

I take you at your word that you "need" to be in NY but winter weather can put the kibosh on the best-laid plans. So I'd plan to get very close to NY for the last several days after Reno, just in case (you can always dawdle if the weather's good). Understand that even if the weather in the west cooperates, planes get stuck in or can't get into the NY area airports if there's a storm (east or west). I'd only do this trip if nothing bad would happen if I was late to NY.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:52 AM

This is extremely good advice. You won't get better snow than in the West. You need to be prepared for weather delays.

The best way to anticipate weather delays is to watch your airline's web site. When they allow free changes to your itinerary, it means they expect significant delays and cancellations.

Depending on where the weather is, you may get seats more easily on a more circuitous route: Salt Lake-Atlanta-NYC, PURELY AS AN EXAMPLE.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 06:48 AM

Do your snow events around Lake Tahoe and then fly to the East Coast. The weather can be very unreliable at that time of the year, and the drive to the East Coast can simply become a marathon drive with no option to visit any place along the way. In fact, you might have problems in the Sierra as rental cars usually do not allow chains which might be required to get over the pass. Take the train from SF to Reno, and rely on their kindness to spend a day in snow country.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 07:01 AM

>>In fact, you might have problems in the Sierra as rental cars usually do not allow chains which might be required to get over the pass.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 07:23 AM

their kindness=your friends'
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you mentioned the California Zephyr, take it from Reno (or Sacramento) as far as Glenwood Springs. There is a great bus service from Glenwood Springs up to Aspen. There are two great old large hotels next to the Colorado River in Glenwood Springs. They are within walking distance from the train station.
The worlds largest hot spring fed swimming pool is also in Glenwood Springs. A few years ago I saw people swimming in that pool in December.
There is now a good light rail line from the Denver Amtrak Station out to the Denver airport. There is also a nice hotel attached to the newly remodeled Denver Amtrak station.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.rfta.com/ How to get to great snow without renting a car.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Adding another winter weather-prone location far from NY may not serve them. Very nice, I have no doubt, if you don't have to be anywhere on a particular date in winter. That still seems to be the missing piece of information, is NY a must on a given date.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:53 PM

I would NOT depend on AMTRAK across the country if you have any firm time constraints.