Bus to the Bronx Zoo

Search

Bus to the Bronx Zoo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus to the Bronx Zoo

Fates willing, I will go to the Bronx Zoo as part of my Thanksgiving getaway.

The primary reason to go to NYC was to see the John Singer Sargent works at the Morgan Library Museum. Found a hotel in proximity (40th and Madison Ave.) and then started looking at activities in the area. LSS (that's Long Story Short), I discovered an express bus route along Madison Ave. to the Bronx Zoo! Oh yippee.

I WILL do more research, but has anyone ever taken said bus? Anything special to know? I've taken busses in NYC and just bought a ticket in the subway station without a problem.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 04:29 PM

The BxM11 Express bus arrives and departs at the Bronx River gate. You use a MetroCard to pay but because it is an express bus to the far reaches of the boroughs, the date is $6.75 each way instead of the regular $2.75 fare. Therefore plan accordingly to have enough money on your MetroCard. Check the schedules carefully. The zoo website gives excellent information about all the different ways to reach the zoo.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem!
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Here's more info from Coquelicot with the location of the bus stop at the zoo. Thanks, Coquelicot:

The BxM11 express bus makes stops along Madison Avenue, between 26th and 99th Streets, then travels directly to the Zoo's Bronx River entrance (Gate B). For your return trip, pick up the bus just outside the same gate at the MTA BxM11 sign (just before the underpass).

Here's a link to the bus schedule. Page 9 shows the route. Looks like there are different schedules for weekday, Sat, and Sun.

web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm11cur.pdf

I looked at the zoo's own map and it wasn't very helpful about gates and buses. Maybe you have to be a New Yorker to know these things.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 06:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Entry to Bronx zoo on a Wednesday is by donation.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Nelsonian. I'll be there Friday-Sunday. But good to know.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

The Bxm11 express to the Bronx Zoo starts at 23rd and Madison but makes only a few pick up stops.One can buy metro tickets at the Zoo’s ticket office and the zoo center. The return stop is just outside the Bronx River Gate parking and the route is down 5th Avenue and has but a few drop off spots.

An online brochure shows the stops. It also says metro ticket or exact change. But driver said only metro tickets now.