How far is the Bronx zoo from NYC?

Jan 25th, 2002, 10:26 AM
traveler

How far is the Bronx zoo from NYC?

And is it open in February? I'd love to go but don't know how far a trip it is from the city and if it's even open in the winter. Thanks

Jan 25th, 2002, 10:38 AM
xxx

Open all year long. How far is it? About 10 miles from midtown. The real question is , how do you plan to get there? Are you planning to drive, take a subway, a commuter train , etc.

Jan 25th, 2002, 10:39 AM
al

Figure about 30 minutes by car or subway.

Jan 25th, 2002, 10:41 AM
sss

it is a haul in the subway it is way up in the bronx

Jan 25th, 2002, 10:43 AM
WorldAtlas

The Bronx Zoo is IN New York City.

Jan 25th, 2002, 10:56 AM
me

I think MetroNorth runs a commuter train there (and also to the bronx botanical gardens) from Grand Central Station. That would probably be more pleasant than the subway. It will cost a little more but may be worth it.

Jan 25th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Judy

Thank you WorldAtlas. That has always been a sore point for residents (or former residents) of the outer boroughs. Many people forget, or do not realize, that NYC is composed of five boroughs, and that the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn & Staten Island are as equally a part of NYC as is Manhattan. That said, I think what "traveler" meant, along with a lot of people, is how far is the zoo from midtown Manhattan. In which case, all of the answers are correct. My vote would be for the Metro North if you are committed to public transportation.

Jan 25th, 2002, 11:09 AM
annie

Hi;

The Metro North stop is a bit of a walk though very doable (1-800-metro info) You will need info on the The Hatlem Line and will be going to the Botinical Garden Stop. The Number 2 subway goes to the Zoo. Get off at either Bronx Park East (easiest) or 180th ST.
www.mta.info for both subway and Metro North information. Have Fun!

Jan 25th, 2002, 11:10 AM
c

Hi - Yes, the Bronx Zoo is in New York City :0) although once you are walking around with all the exotic animals,riding the tram, you will forget you are in the middle of a huge city.
It is open in the winter, most of the animals stay inside the houses, I think even the butterfly pavilion is open.
Metro North will get you there, as it will also get you to the nearby Botanical Gardens and the Greenhouse, that is wonderful...

Jan 25th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Tema

do a search "bronx Zoo" Their website gives very explicit directions

Jan 25th, 2002, 01:30 PM
rqf

Website is www.bronxzoo.com

SUBWAY: IRT #2 Express to Pelham Pkwy. or IRT #5 Express to East 180 St. and transfer to the #2 Express. Walk west to the Bronxdale entranc

BY BUS
Liberty Lines BxM11 air conditioned
express bus from Mid-Manhattan makes various stops on Madison Ave. in
Manhattan; call Liberty Lines at (718) 652-8400 for more information.
A little more expensive than subway but the more convenient