Bus from Sausalito to Golden Gate Bridge?

Jul 26th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Bus from Sausalito to Golden Gate Bridge?

I'm going to be in San Francisco for a week, and was toying with the idea of somehow combining walking the Golden Gate Bridge, seeing Sausalito, and taking the ferry back to SF in the same day.

Only problem is getting from GG Bridge to Sausalito. Are there any buses from the north side of the bridge that can be taken? Or is the only feasible way to get between the two points biking (which I'm trying to avoid for various reason)?

Any advice appreciated, even if it is: take a taxi

Daniel
Jul 26th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Look at this map:

http://goldengatetransit.org/service...arinRoutes.pdf

I looks like you can take Golden Gate transit busses #2, #10, or #60
Jul 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I took a look - but it seems based off the map that the pickup/dropoff point is at the south end of the bridge (toll plaza).

Guess I'll check it out when I get there - if there isn't a bus stop, then worst case is a mile or two walk downhill from the north end to Sausalito...
Jul 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Are you a good walker? It's an easy walk from the bridge into Sausalito, slightly downhill. Just be careful as the road is popular with bikers.

If your walking is not good, then... well... take the bus from SF to Sausalito and forget walking the whole length of the bridge.

And you've chosen the best direction - it's better view-wise to walk in the village, to ferry out.
Jul 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM

There is NO Golden Gate Transit bus stop at the north end of the bridge. The bus stop is immediately before the tolls at the south end of the bridge.

You didn't say when you plan on doing this. Bus # 2 runs only on weekdays during the rush hour. About 4 or 5 trips in the morning and the same number of trips in the evening.

Bus # 10 runs during week-ends only (I think). It should run the whole day.

I think Bus #60 doesn't go into Sausalito proper - it just goes to the outskirts at the 101 Park-and-ride area to drop off and pick up.
Jul 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM

bus 10 runs every day.

not sure if bus 50 goes to sausalito
Jul 26th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone... guess I'm definitely walking since the bus is on the wrong side of the bridge for my purposes.

I go hiking a lot, so a few miles slighly downhill shouldn't be a problem (I'll be wearing my best walking shoes )