Bummer in Naples: Handsome Harry's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being the LilMsFoodie that I am, I have watched as Handsome Harry's restaurant struggled to build and open for the last year. I needed to go shopping yesterday in Naples (Fort Myers remains retail challenged) and looked forward to a decadent lunch at HH. I was disappointed on all counts. The restaurant has only been opened 11 days or so, but some things were telling. The dining room was unappealing. Maybe it is designed for night time appeal. I sat in the bar as I was alone.

Two women at the bar received their lunches (sandwich of some sort with fries) and each tried eating it in a number of ways. The bartender asked them what was wrong, they told him and she simply removed the plates and disposed of the food. No call to the manager, no offer of another dish and no removal of the charge from their bill. This is monumental in a new place, especially in a foodieville like Naples where things like this are not tolerated.

I ordered a sparkling wine, Sophia, which came in a flip top can. This is a cute gimmick for a picnic or boating afternoon, but I think when sitting in a supposedly sophisticated bar, in one of the more affluent towns in the country, the can could have been kept out of site. $7 bucks for the can, which is at World Market for $1.50. Nice markup. The prosecco did not benefit from the tin can treatment.

I ordered their Lobster Salad. Since the restaurant is supposedly modelled after a Boston restaurant, I had fairly high hopes. I received about 3 oz. of partially thawed lobster meat like I buy at Blue Pepper to make my lobster club sandwiches. This was tossed with what tasted like Miracle Whip and nothing else but a few bib lettuce leaves and a few scrawny mango and avocado slices, both warm. No cold plate. Not much bang for $16 or 19 bucks. I ate my lunch, paid my tab and walked down to Campiello where I ordered a pizza as I was hungry. Nice prosecco in a chilled glass.

The restaurant design is indifferent and not that functional. Since the owner was involved with the development of Tommy Bahama, call me bummed. LMF
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

topping for Neapolitan

Been to HH's yet? LMF
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Neopolitan

Ah, you beat me. I had high hopes too since this is just a few blocks from my house. But I'm still in California. You know this was a spring off from Tommy Bahama's? I'm not real sure of the specifics, but I think the manager of Tommy's was backed by some big money to open this place. Having watched the building process going on for almost a year, I sure had high hopes. I thought the idea was that it was to have the casual atmosphere of a Tommy Bahama's with much better food and more reasonable prices. Sounds like they miss on all accounts.

By the way, I happened to notice that Tommy Bahama's is now bookable on Open Table -- a long way from when they refused to take any reservations.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

I think Tommy Bahama was forced into taking ressies as Campiello and Cafe Lurcat have done so for quite some time now. I used Open Table last season and it was a big help.

I'll be interested to find out if Handsome Harry's is somehow transformed at night. It is a big nothing and there are some amateur errors in the design that might be dangerous. Really stupid. Not unlike the Waterside Shop remodel with their slippery floors and lack of cover :-} LMF
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Neopolitan

Well, we can also always hope it will improve. Remember our lunch at Bice, when the waiter said "it's a nice wine from near Italy" and when I said "where exactly" he replied "Spain." I still laugh at that, but we've had a couple of really good meals there since without attitude!

But you were wise to head to Campiello. Still my favorite. Now if they would just reintroduce their pancetta, gorgonzola, wild mushroom pizza. . .