bryce-zion end of October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to vegas then off to Zion and Bryce at the very end of October. Have 3 nights to spend in the parks...any suggestions how to divide the time...like easy hikes...a sea level person who doesn't want to gasp for air, so we will prob do Zion first perhaps for a night, and bryce for two nights. Any suggestions or comments welcome
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM

If elevation is a concern you might want to do one night at Bryce and two at Zion. There is plenty of hiking at both, from easy to strenuous, but if sea level lungs are a problem the 'beneath the rim' hikes at Bryce could be a bit taxing on the hike out at 9,000 ft. Bryce will also be nippy that time of year with the daytime average high about 46 degrees (F) and nighttime lows about 20 degrees so pack with that in mind.
The valley floor of Zion is 3,800 ft. so much warmer.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:31 AM

Don't hike in Bryce right when you arrive. Do the drive to the overlooks and explore the rim the day you arrive. Be careful if you drink wine with dinner. I was caught a little off guard by the altitude enhanced effect of the alcohol. After spending the night there, your body will have adjusted enough for a hike below the rim. Take it easy and drink lots of water.

It will be nippy as Randi suggests.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM

Good advice Peter and a treking pole is also useful, if you get winded on the uphills. I would suggest the lightweight, telescoping variety that will fit into a 22" carry-on.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM

By all means take the trip through Virgin Narrows to at least Wall Street (about 4 miles) The cottonwoods are usually prime the last week in October and the other trees including maples may still have some color on them. Have seen people do it in shorts but they had blue legs (from the cold) and didn't seem very happy. There are two places in town to rent canyoneering equipment. I have used Zion Adventure Co on two occasions. They offer a great site which offers an overview of the trip. http://www.zionadventures.com/. You can rent their package which includes river boots, neoprene socks and hiking staff. I attach my tripod to my pack so can have hands free to use the staff which is very helpful for walking over the slick rocks. A pair of polarizing sunglasses to cut the glare of water makes it easier to see where you are putting your feet.
Just remember to take everything you will need with you because you will access the trailhead via the free shuttle.

Another trip would suggest is either to Observation Point (8 miles and strenuous but without the drop offs of the last section of Angels Landing. You will be looking down on Angels Landing and the view you get from the top of it.) Angels Landing is shorter but the last 1/2 mile involves hiking with drop offs (with chains to hold on to in spots). Don't recommend going past Scout's Landing if you don't like heights

If I were doing your trip would drive over to Bryce from Zion about noon. You don't want to arrive too late in afternoon as the hoodoos sit in a bowl which is in shadow long before sunset. The best light will be in the morning.

In my opinion you will get a larger selection of photos from Zion than Bryce where the hoodoos are the main subject. In Zion you will have the river, mountains and cottonwoods.