Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bryce-Yellowstone, Tetons itinerary opinion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok - I have been agonizing over this for weeks- Family of four- two kids ages 12 and 14 - here goes

July 22-SLC
23- Bryce- (Ruby's Best Western)
24-Bryce
25-Bryce
26-Bryce
27-SLC or thereabouts
28 -Yellowstone-reservations
29- Yellowstone
30-Yellowstone
31-Yellowstone
August1-Tetons-reservations
2-Tetons
3-Jackson- need reservations
4-Jackson
5-SLC
6-home

I picked Bryce because the weather is a little cooler than some of the other parks- my assumption is that at least one of the days we will do some driving elsewhere around there- Should we cut down Bryce by a day? I do have reservations in Yellowstone and Jackson lake lodge cabins that would cover me to do that- would you give more time to yellowstone/Tetons- As per my previous post- do you think i should just stay in one central location for jackson area
like a condo? what is the parking like in the town of jackson? Also, the two days of Travel between Bryce and yellowstone? We do want to make some time- any suggestions of an alternate route up to Yellowstone- old faithful that won't take forever and includes an overnight stop?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:44 PM

July 23 - 5 hours will be driving to Bryce and 1/2 day in Bryce
July 24 - all day Bryce
July 25 - Day trip to Zion
July 26 - I'd drive scenic Hwy 12 spending the day enjoying the drive and some time in Capitol Reef National Park and spend the night in Torrey, Utah
July 27th get closer to Yellowstone than SLC.

IMHO, I'd forfit one day of Jackson for a day in Yellowstone...heck I'd skip Jackson all together and just spend it in the parks...but that's just me...ok that's what we did. We just spent 9 days in Yellowstone and 2 at the Grand Tetons, had lunch in Jackson and headed down to Utah.

Utahtea
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:14 AM

I agree with utahtea about spending the time in the parks rather than Jackson....but I'd add the day to the Teton experience!
However, I will admit that adding a day to either park is a good idea!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Is town of jackson doable from the Jackson Lake lodge? my kids will need a minimum of one full day there after all that nature.- What did you think of the Condo idea? After two weeks of them in the same room- I think I will be pulling my hair out.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

utahtea, where did you stay in yellowstone, did you change lodges during your trip?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM

We were in our motorhome, stayed in the campgrounds and we did a lot of moving around. We didn't make any reservations until the night before.

We stayed in West Yellowstone the first night because we were getting in late. 4 nights at Madison Campground, 1 night at Mammoth Campground, then did the upper loop circle and spent 2 more nights at Madison. Then we moved to Bridge Bay near Yellowstone Lake for 2 nights before going down to the Grand Tetons.

Utahtea
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Re condo - we have stayed at condo at Teton Village, about a mile from GTNP entrance and about 15 minutes from downtown Jackson for 3 nights seeing Jackson and GTNP.

Understand the 2 weeks in one room part - togetherness with family can only go so far. Had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, LR, full kitchen condo - was wonderful.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. still working it out, that one day makes a big difference. I figured as long as i am out here I have to do Southern Utah as well, because who know if I'll make it out again. here's another question- what does Zion offer compared to Bryce? i can get park lodges at both, although i still will probably stay at ruby's in Bryce just to keep my son happy,.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM

You could get a good argument going here debating Bryce versus Zion. And the temptation for us when traveling that far (we are in Boston) is to keep adding places "since we have come this far".

Four days in Bryce is probably too much with 2 young teenagers unless you are into major hiking. We spent 2 nights at Ruby's two summers ago with slightly older teens and that was the right amount of time. Stayed at Ruby's since we mixed Park lodges with real hotels on that trip to compromise for everyone - that also worked.

Drove into Bryce for sunrises and sunsets and animal sightings - although there are more animals at Yellowstone. Spent a day taking shuttle bus from Ruby's to various stops, did short hike amongst hoodoos.

So what to do with the other days? You could add Zion. You could add another day in Yellowstone. Or a day exploring SLC if you are into city stuff.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:21 PM

Regarding Ruby's (response to your other post). No, it is really not that bad. Rooms are average hotel/motel quality. Even with the sprawl and everything there, we did not find it noisy. And I was constantly amused that in the middle of the vast beautiful area there sits Ruby's - complete with everything from photo developing to rent-a-horse.

Take it for what it is, part of the American experience - it did not reduce the quality of our trip to Bryce and it was actually nice to be able to restock on necessary suppplies (our daughter got hair elastics, some cheesy magazines, nail polish and our son stocked up on beef jerky)
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:16 AM

I agree with the suggestion of going to Zion, but as a day trip may be asking too much. Bryce is neat, but it is not a big park and 4 nights is a lot. If you spend a day and a half, I think you will have tasted Bryce.

Zion is interesting, but at this late date getting lodging very close will be hard. Staying in Cedar City is not a bad alternative. Not that your kids would like it, but the Utah Shakespere Festival is in Cedar City as is very good.

Tetons are beautiful, but things to do are limited. Most of the day hiking is longer and can be strenuous for a lot of people. The boat ride on Jenny Lake and hike up to Inspiration Point is good. The kids will be fine with that. If you want to do more hiking, you can head up the trail into the valley.

If you don't have a windy day, you can rent canoes and paddle Jackson Lake. There are float trips down the Snake.

Yellowstone is like no other place. There is so much to see and do. Day hiking is as easy or hard you want to make it. Geyser watching is a must. The upper and lower falls in the canyon are awesome. I sugget you plan your days in one general area of the park. Otherwise, you can end up driving a lot.

Jackson is fine. The kids will probably need the break from nature. There used to be an alpine slide at the ski resort, but I'm not sure if it is still there.

There is an assortment of lodging in Jackson. We've stayed at the Buckhorn, which is tucked away from town. (Which means quiet)

Enjoy the trip. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

I actually was able to get two nights at Zion and 2 days at Bryce at the park lodges, but i think I am going to drop the Bryce lodge because my kids will love Ruby's with all the facilities and they have AC.Zion has AC and phone in the room so we will be fine there. Can anyone tell me the driving time between SLC and Bryce?
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 09:02 AM

Rub, we had A/C and a nice, new, large room at Bryce. You might want to phone them for more details on your room before canceling. We could walk right out to the canyon's edge from our room. Deer all around in the evenings.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM

Glad you're spending two nights at Bryce and two at Zion. For two parks that are so close together, they have to be the two most different parks.

Bryce is higher elevation and erosion has made spires, hoodoos and other weird shapes to the landscape. At Bryce you are at the top of a canyon looking down. You can hike or take horse back rides down into the canyon.

Zion is a little lower elevation and will be a lot hotter for this time of the year, but it's a dry heat. If you enter at Springdale, Utah you are in a canyon looking up at walls of sandstone totally different than at Bryce. In Springdale you can rent intertubes and tube on the Virgin River just outside of Zion. They have banded tubing in the park, but you see much of the park as you go floating down the river. This is a good thing to do in the heat of the day.

Bryce to SLC via hwy 12, Hwy 89, Hwy 20 & I-70 is 270 miles and about 4 1/2 hour drive.

BTW, When our boys were growing up we did annual trips of 4 and 5 weeks in a suburban and 24 foot trailer...talk about togetherness!

Utahtea
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Utahtea, that sounds like great family vacations to me!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM

BayouGal,

YES, we have a lot of great memories from all our vacations!

Utahtea