Bryce Canyon Hike Recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Bryce in a few days and would looking for an awesome hike idea. I only have about 1.5 to 2 days to explore. The only stipulation is that the hike can't exceed 10 hrs round trip. Maybe some of you know of a couple hikes that are 4-6 hrs a piece. I want to get a chance to see the most dramatic views possible and get the biggest bang for my buck.

I am also driving through the park so I can explore other areas.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM

We did the Fairyland Loop starting at dawn. We didn't see anothersoul for at least the first two hours of the hike. As I recall, it was about 5 to 5.5 hours. It is about 8 miles with constant elevation changes. It can be done quicker but we took our time enjoying the solitude and taking lots of pictures.

The images can be found starting with this one. Great hike...one of my favorites ever.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/85455401

In previous years we've enjoyed the shorter Peek-a-boo and Queen's Garden Loops...it's hard to go wronghiking among Bryce's hoodoos no matter which trail you choose.
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM

I hiked two places the day I visited Bryce:

-about halfway around the rim of the canyon.
-down into the canyon via the Navajo Loop Trail, then back up via the Queen's Garden Trail.

Neither hikes are horribly long and both are wonderfully scenic. I recommend both.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you want to hike down Navajo Loop and back up Queen's Garden and add a couple of hours you can connect to Peek-A-Boo Loop and add 3 miles to the hike.

I did that my second day in Bryce and it gave view from the other side of the Canyon.

I don't know where you live but I think you may want to consider taking it a bit easy. Bryce is at about 8,500 feet and while you won't feel it standing around, you'll definitely feel it hiking.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Myer is right about the high elevation, though I adapted fine when I went there. Altitude changes affect some more than others.

Also be sure to drink a lot of water regardless of the season while there, as the climate is extremely dry and it's easy to dehydrate if you don't do so. That goes for most anyplace in Utah/Arizona/Nevada and environs.