Notices

Zion NP. Secluded places to hike?

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion NP. Secluded places to hike?

Is is possible to hike in this park without hords of tourists? Any ideas how to appreciate this beautiful place in peace? What hikes should be considered?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:08 AM

You'd probably be hard pressed to find a secluded path in the main section of Zion NP.... but, the Kolob Canyon section of Zion is MUCH LESS visited and is more likely to have secluded hiking trails. Plus, it is just a few miles off I15.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:13 AM

If you're willing to take some of the moderately difficult hikes, you'll get away from other tourists fast. It also helps if you get up early enough to take the first shuttle to a trailhead.

2 weeks ago, we had the Watchman Trail to ourselves on the way up. The Hidden Canyon Trail was also uncrowded. I didn't think the Hidden Canyon Trail was worth it without walking into the canyon. Many people turn around at the point the trail gets to the entrance of the canyon. My husband and I were alone in the canyon for almost an hour, before two other people came by.

If you walk even a quarter mile into the Narrows, there are very few other tourists.

There are some hikes in the Kolob section that most casual visitors never even learn about. We took the Taylor Creek Trail, and although we saw occasional people on the trail, we had the grotto at the end to ourselves for at least 15 minutes. I'm certain that if we hadn't gone at midday (big mistake because of the sun), we would have seen even fewer people. The Taylor Creek Trail would have been great if we had started out at 7:30 or 8am.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your generous answers. Is it possible to get with shuttle to all these trails you suggested? What is the best scenic route to the Kolob Canyon? We will be staying in Sprigdale as there were no rooms in the Zion Lodge. How long it takes from Sprindale to the Taylor Creek Trail? We will have only two full days to hike there. So one day we will spend in the Kolob Canyon and the other day maybe the Watchman Trail. Or do you have any other sugestions?

We enjoy starting early in the morning.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:02 PM

The Hidden Canyon trek is one of the uphill trails in Zion that I remember vividly. The posting above describes it nicely.

My only caution is that some of the trail is on a ledge. If heights bother you, then you might want to reconsider this one. Some people are advesely affected. If not, then it is good one for the view from up above.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:49 AM

I'd recommend the Hidden Canyon Trail over the Watchman Trail, because it's prettier and more interesting.

There is a warning at the start of the Hidden Canyon Trail saying that it's not recommended for anyone with a fear of heights. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm afraid of heights (have literally frozen on a couple of trails), but I didn't have much trouble on the Hidden Canyon Trail, because of the chains, width of the trail, the fact that the trail slanted inward toward the rock wall instead of the cliff, and the security of the rock wall itself. It probably depends on what about heights scares you. There was one man sitting just below the exposed part, waiting for friends to come back down. I assume he decided to forgo that section.

The shuttle will get you to the trailheads in the main part of the park. It is fairly slow, but very convenient and efficient.

I think it took us about 45 minutes to drive to the entrance of the Kolob section, but I'm not certain, since we made a few stops first in Springdale.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 12:57 PM

If you don't mind exposures and starting out with a crowd would suggest Angel's Landing. The paved trail starts out near the end of the road. Have not been there since the tram has been in place so not sure how close the trailhead is. The higher you climb the more folks you will leave behind. But if you make it to the top all those cares leave you as you are looking down on them and the road. Go early and take water.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for more information Bob, Travellyn and Photodog.
I am trying to decide on the most scenic trails with many photo oportunities. And yes, we do not mind more chalenging hikes and willing to start early in the morning.

Hidden Canyon sounds very interesting but I don't think my husband would be very happy walking on a ledge.

Meanwhile, what hiking books do you all recommend for Zion Park?