Bryce Canyon Area

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce Canyon Area

Will be visiting Byrce Canyon area in the summer and will only be there one day. What's the way to have the most fun and see the sights on a conservative budget?
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:22 PM

Bryce Canyon, like most other Nat'l Parks, can be very low cost. I believe the entry fee is now $20 per car, good for 7 days. If someone in the car is age 62 or older, that person can buy a lifetime pass to all NP's and other federal recreation areas for $10 and I believe the other people in the same car may enter on that pass, accompanied by the pass owner.

The only other cost you need incur is the cost of gas to drive from one lookout to the next. There is one lookout over the scenic areas of the canyon outside the park gates and 7 or 8 inside the gates along about an 18 mile road.

Seeing these lookouts, especially at sunrise, can be magnificent but they are also beautiful at any time of the day. Hiking into the canyon also is at no cost (except physical-make sure you are prepared for the altitude and exertion required).

You can, of course, spend a lot of money on horse rides, helicopter rides, guided tours, etc. but you do not need to.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:44 AM

There is a ton of this type of information on line. Here is a pretty comprehensive page:

http://www.bryce.canyon.national-park.com/

IMHO the 2 hour horse ride into the canyon is a great value. What does "conservative budget" mean to you?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I did read online that there is a Park pass that is good for all Nat;l Parks for $50. Since we will be visiting at least 3 I think this will be worth the effort. Need to do some looking as to where to get that pass and whether this is purchase via internet or can I get one at any Park?
Conservative budget is $100-$150 a day for a family of five, not including hotel. Food and attractions/fun are included in the mix. Might go higher if there's something special/exciting/once in a life time.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:01 AM

Hi Happy,

You can buy the Natl Park Annual Pass for $50 at the entrance to any park.
You will cover the cost of the pass on this trip and any others you visit during the year will be a bonus!

Have fun!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM

I don't know where else you are going on this trip but I would say that the horseback riding trip into the Canyon (make sure it's not the ones outside the canyon) is worth a special treat. We did it last August with our two kids (8 and 10) and it was THE highlight of a trip that included many highlights and lots of splurges.

But if you can't swing it, the hike down into the Canyon (Navajo/Queens Garden Loop) is totally memorable as is a Sky Night talk which is free (don't know if you are staying overnight).

Have a blast! Wish we were going again this year...
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:18 PM

Either drive your vehicle or take the shuttle buses along the scenic drive and do some hiking. If it's a hot day do the hiking early in the morning and do the scenic driver during the heat of the day. I also recommend the Navajo - Queen's Garden loop hike.

Utahtea
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:06 AM

Parking your car and taking the free Park Service shuttle has the advantage of your being able to walk (not even hike) along a path along the rim - you just pisck up the bus at the next overlook - some paths are as short as 1/4 mile. Flat, marked paths - totally unstrenuous. (You still need to buy the park entry pass)

After the park entry pass, your only expense is food, water and gas.