bryce canyon and zion in oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My huband and I are interested in traveling to Bryce canyon and zion Nat'l park in October. Does any one know what the weather is like in mid October? Are motels/hotels open?
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
emd

I was at Zion and Bryce over 4 days in middle of last October. Never wore a jacket or long sleeved shirt. It was mild at Zion, wore shorts/capris and T shirts. Swam in the hotel pool (Flannigans, which we loved, had one of the two separate units in the back w/lots of room and w/private porch. Bryce was very warm; we took alot of water on the hikes there.
All the hotels we saw in Springfield and were open, and we stopped at Ruby's at Bryce.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM

I have to agree with EMD about Flannigans. We stayed there three nights last October and it was one of the best hotels we had during a three week trip. We had a second floor unit opposite the restaurant, and it was more like a suite than just a room with a king size bed. I doubt if you will find a more comfortable bed.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I forgot to include that the free bus to Zion stops across the street, and lets you off next to the hotel on the return trip. It was a pleasure not to be involved in looking for a parking place in the park.

If you are a senior, ask for the discount.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:50 AM

oct. sports some of utah's best weather warm days and cool nights. but not cold.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:02 AM

The weather in Zion is likely to be as described in previous posts. The weather at Bryce is more of a question mark. It could be, as described, warm in the daytime and cool at night. However, Bryce is at a much higher elevation than Zion and it could be anything from warm to cool to cold. I'd be prepared with a moderate jacket, hat, gloves, and light rain gear.

I've been there in mid-October when you could freeze your <you choose> off.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:57 AM

When we were visiting Bryce canyon we stayed in Hatch. We made long hikes in the canyon and it was hot (Sept.)but in the morning I had to scrape the ice from the car windows. Paul
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:42 AM

tovarich: Why did you stay in Hatch? I used to live there and I loved it but it is a fairly long drive into Bryce Canyon and there are much closer places to stay.

Do you remember the pink cliffs east of town at sunset? I still think they are among the most pretty sights I have ever seen.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM

Just returned from both parks. Zion was in 80s during daytime; while Bryce had a high in low 70s it was already in upper 20s first thing in the morning. Did not hit 60s until after 11 am.