Broadway - Taller than a Dwarf

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 07:02 PM
meagain

Broadway - Taller than a Dwarf

Has anyone seen this play starring Matthew Broderick? Shows began a few weeks ago and there are still great seats; I'll be in NYC in 2 weeks and was wondering if I should see it.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 07:08 PM
howard

It hasn't opened yet, but reportedly did not get good reviews in Boston.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 06:06 AM
Meg

I was in NYC last week-end and there were tickets available to Taller than a Dwarf on the TKTS board at Duffy Square.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 09:56 AM
lisa

I have tickets for Saturday April 22 -- I'll post a report when I get back that Monday and let you know how it was. My expectations are high -- Parker Posey and Matthew Broderick are great, and with Elaine May writing and Alan Arkin directing, how can it not be hilarious?

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Midget

Are you insulting a civic dwarf named Giuliani?

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 05:22 PM
Cur

Hilary Clinton is a lot taller than that dwarf Giuliani--and in more ways than one!

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 09:13 PM
julie

We were in NYC the last weekend in March. My younger sister and boyfriend saw Taller than a Dwarf and gave it a lukewarm review. The name of the theater escapes me but it was small and definitely intimate. My sister claims that P. Posey was awful and seemed bored with her part (also says she overheard others in the theater making the same observation). She liked Broderick and met him at the stage door after the show. Posey waved everyone away and wouldn't sign autographs while Broderick stayed and let people take photos with him. Go figure. Ahhh.....to be an actor.

Good luck and have a great time on your trip.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Cheryl

I saw it on April 16. It wasn't the worse play I ever saw. It was okay. Very stupid. Most people I know did not like it. I have one friend who loved. Be your own judge, if you really want to see it.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 07:32 AM
lisa

Just back from New York and saw "Taller than a Dwarf" on Saturday. My friend and I both enjoyed it. Were entertained but agreed it was "good, not great." On a scale from 1 to 100 I would give it somewhere around 68-71. While I would recommend it, I feel a little uncomfortable doing so given the $65 ticket price, so ultimately I would recommend it but with reservations.

The play is a comedy about a couple living in Queens who are having trouble getting ahead, and suddenly find themselves having the quintessential VERY BAD DAY, which makes them question whether it is really worth it to keep getting out of bed every morning. It is very funny in parts, and certainly it got better as it progressed, but the humor in the play derives largely from the situations in which the characters find themselves rather than the dialogue, which felt forced to me in several scenes (particularly in the beginning). The subject matter of the play -- which is, at its core, quite serious despite the light tone of the piece -- had a lot of potential, which I felt Elaine May did not mine as deeply as she could have.

Parker Posey and Matthew Broderick both seemed miscast to me, although they are both wonderful performers and did a good job with their parts (particularly Matthew Broderick). The supporting actors were also excellent.

I enjoyed the off-kilter design of the set.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Patrick

I understand Matthew Broderick turned down the lead in the current revival of The Music Man to do this show. Too bad, it sounds like he could have had a longer gig with Music Man (not that he should be worried about being unemployed) and from his performance in How to Succeed, I'd guess he would have made a great Harold Hill.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 07:00 PM
Jennifer

I saw this play just this past Saturday. It was ok, entertaining, but still ok. I did not think it was worth the $70.00. If you are looking for a play to see then do not miss True West with Phillip Seymore Hoffman and John C Reilly. I was absolutely amazed.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 07:19 AM
TW

The reviews are in - and unfortunately, they aren't so good!

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2000...a_dwarf_1.html