Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Broadway show tickets on craigslist?..what do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for kicks, I went on Craigslist...lots of theatre tickets. Has anyone ever purchased tickets through Craigslist?...Result?....
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I haven't and wouldn't. Let the buyer beware.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Only if you could meet the person and see the actual tickets before paying. There are way too may scammers on Craig's list.

(A young woman in my office is looking to sublet an apartment and saw an ad for a likely one on Criagi's list - photos and everything. She went to look at it and liked the apartment and was with the "subleter" waiting for the elevator when the door opened. The person (super) who exited said to the "subleter" "what are you doing back in the building?" Turned out it was the ex boyfriend of the woman whose apartment it was. He must have copied the keys when visiting her - and was trying to sublet someone else's apartment - or at least collect a deposit and first month's rent.)
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I agree; only if you can meet the seller at some safe place and do the money/ticket exchange in person. That said, I sold some tickets on Craigslist once; met the buyer (with cash) at a cafe between our homes, and it worked out fine.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM

But how would you be sure that it's an authentic ticket? Anyone can print anything at home today and e-tickets are printed on regular paper. I wouldn't chance it.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM

I've done it once with no problems whatsoever. It can be risky for sure, but if you ask a lot of questions of the seller you can get a feel for whether he/she is trustworthy. We saw Jersey Boys in San Francisco with Craigslist tickets. Would do it (carefully) again.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM

I haven't done theater tickets but I have both bought and sold tickets to sporting events on Craigslist. I agree, it takes a little "research" (talking to your buyer/seller, as opposed to a strictly-online transaction). I have not been burned yet. In fact, one time, I was the buyer and received the actual hard tickets in the mail before I even mailed a check to the seller -- I asked him why he did that and he told me he could tell by talking to me that I was "trustworthy". (lucky him, I am LOL!)
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM

I agree w/ others - only if it was a local person (to me) and i could see the tickets first. Still no absolute guarantee but it's some safeguard.

But always meet in a public place.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 02:33 AM

I have seen ads on craigslist where they are actually selling you some kind of a discount coupon that costs the person selling it absolutely nothing. Beware!