Broadway show schedule

Jul 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Broadway show schedule

I'm looking ahead to an October trip to NYC and want to get show tickets. Somewhere in the back of my mind is the notion that many new shows open in October. Is this true? If so, does anyone know how I could find out about any that might be opening? I'm watching Playbill.com for discounts, but it's way too early for me to get anything there yet.
Jul 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Here's one source that shows openings:

http://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/whatson/opening.htm
Jul 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM

Typically new shows don;t discount unless they get bad reviews - you usually have to go for older shows to get discounts. You can also look at broadwaybox.com for discount coupons.
Jul 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Ah, but MANY shows offer discounts when they are new -- and even more so for previews -- the full show BEFORE it officially opens.

For example there are already big discounts for La Bete and for Scottsboro Boys -- both opening in October.
Jul 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. NeoPatrick, that website was just what I was looking for. I can't imagine how they took the story of the Scottsboro Boys and turned it into a musical; anyone know much about it?

I can get tickets right now at Telecharge, but they're full price. Do you know where I can find discounted preview tickets?

We haven't decided what show we want to see, so I'm just exploring as many options as I can.
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM

First of all, Patrick is quite right about soon-to-open shows offering discounts. In fact, discount tickets are currently available thru November for The Scottsboro Boys. Check playbill.com and broadwaybox.com.
Also on the playbill website you can check a list of upcoming shows. After logging onto the site, go down the right-hand column to access the detailed listing.
Jul 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, HowardR. I've used playbill.com several times in the past but never noticed the upcoming shows link.

So now I'm really loaded with possibilities. Since you guys know a lot more than me about shows etc., do any of the upcoming ones strike you as ones you can't wait to see? I'm intrigued about Scottsboro Boys because I'm somewhat familiar with the true story--I teach a bit about it as an introduction to the novel To Kill A Mockingbird in my English class. It's a dark time in our history, so I can't imagine that the musical is "fun." My all-time favorite show (so far) is Cabaret, so maybe Scottsboro Boys will have a similar mood.

I'm also addicted to Mad Men, so Promises, Promises looks like fun for me. We could easily fit in 2 shows during our trip, especially if we get them discounted, but what are the odds that the current actors will still be there in October? I'm a huge fan of Kristen Chenowith and would love to see her.

Thanks again for your help. I welcome all comments and opinions. This is my 4th NYC trip in about 10 years that you've all helped me plan.
Jul 18th, 2010, 03:32 AM

anniegaff:

We will be in NYC in October and this is helpful information. Thanks for posting this question.

Sandy
Jul 18th, 2010, 04:59 AM

To further emphasize that the choice of discounted shows is far from limited to "older shows," note that all four of the shows getting this year's Tony nominations for best musical--all of which got favorable reviews--are currently offering discounts (American Idiot, Fela, Memphis and Million Dollar Quartet).
Jul 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM

so I can't imagine that the musical is "fun."

Les Misérables is a happy little musical about oppression and injustice.

The Phantom of the Opera is about a deformed psychopathic freak who lives rent free.
Jul 18th, 2010, 08:00 AM

I missed Scottsboro Boys which was in a sort of "preview -- workshop" mode the last week I was in NYC in February. All I know about it was that I couldn't get a ticket and that people were raving about it. In what may seem very "politically incorrect" the show takes the form of an old fashioned minstrel show, complete with a narrator or Mr. Interlocketer.

I've never thought of Les Miserables as a "happy little musical"? What was I missing? LOL