Broadway show choice for 14 year old

May 9th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Broadway show choice for 14 year old

While doing some research on which show to see during our July trip, I noticed that some of the shows have the term 'Mature' tied to them on sites like playbill.com. My question is, what does mature mean? Are they unsuitable for a 14 year old or are they unsuitable for an 8 year old? I certainly don't want to take my daughter to anything that is obviously offensive or wrong for her, but she watches certain R rated movies with us, depending on if they contain just violence or blatant sexual material.

For instance, Chicago and The Producers have Mature advisories. Any imput is appreciated.

May 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM

What about "Hairspray"?
May 9th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Mama Mia or Rent
May 9th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Tess

Mamma Mia for sure--you'll love it as much as she does.

May 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM

I put my vote in for Thoroughly Modern Millie - thoroughly entertaining and appropriate for all ages...

May 9th, 2003, 11:33 PM

You know, you would probably find the themes and story lines of most, but not all, Broadway shows "mature", in one way or another for a 14 or 8 year old, and potentially uncomfortable or even offensive for yourselves.. These days, it's difficult, but not impossible to attend a show that's not somewhat "dark" or offensive in some way, to the parents. "Rent", for example, a Pulitzer Prize winner, would be an example of a show I,personally found totally uncomfortable and (the storyliine) offensive to my personal values, despite the magnificent musical/dance numbers.

To us, Lion King was a huge snooze. We''d already seen the most impressive (scenery/costume-wise) parts on TV (not all that impressive while there) and the kids all around us were positively demoralized pretty much thoughout. Lots of truly saddened kids not much uplifted by later events in that particular show.

You know, you were their age once. There are SO many spectacular shows on Broadway right noww. I think (as I'm sure you may remember this too) all that's "offensive" will go right by them. What they'll notice and remember will be the magificent "show stoppiing" numbers.

If you permit your kids tto sit by your side and watch r-rated stuff on TV, you'll surely have no problem with anything on Broadway.
May 14th, 2003, 09:40 AM

42nd Street, Rent, Hairspray, Man of La Mancha, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Movin' Out (the Billie Joel/Twyla Tharp dance musical), Phantom of the Opera, Aida?

?and, of course, The Lion King, which I don't think is too young for a 14 year old, although your 14 year old may think so.
May 14th, 2003, 09:55 AM

I think Hairspray is perfect for a teen (and her parents). My daughter (who is also 14) also really liked La Boheme (on B'way). Her friends who saw Rent loved it but the parents are underwhelmed. My daughter loved the movie Chicago but hasn't seen the play. She enjoyed 42nd street but not as much as Hairspray or Boheme. I think your daughter could probably handle most of the shows labelled 'mature' although there are many wholesome choices available that may be a better bet. Gypsy is supposed to be very good, and everyone seems to like Millie. I think Cabaret is probably the raciest of the bunch and I would not take my daughter to that.
May 14th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Gypsy. The music is terrific and there is enough going on to keep a 14 year old glued for 2+ hours. The fact that there are plenty of kids and teens in the show doesn't hurt either. My second choice would be Millie. I think the theater experience is better with Gypsy. The old theaters are gorgeous and classy. Millie is in a new theater and, in my opinion, doesn't have the same Broadway Theater impact. Millie is, however, very cute and bouncy, and appears to be a favorite for many.
May 14th, 2003, 01:14 PM

We recently went to NYC with our two teens, 17 and 14. They really wanted to see "Rent," so we did. I think they were both disappointed, partly because the show seems so dated. The content was a little out there, I thought, for my 14-year-old son: several gay couples, drug addiction, etc. (And I personally didn't like the music at all, but that's another story.)

My husband and son went to see "Man of La Mancha," which they both really liked, my son particularly. My daughter and I saw Chicago, which was also quite good--mainly if you like to see good Fosse choreography.

We saw "Producers" in previews when the kids were, I think, 15 and 12. Some of the jokes were certainly mature, but they both loved it, and it really didn't make us too uncomfortable for them to see it.
May 14th, 2003, 04:06 PM

This past April I chaperoned on a high school trip to NYC. We took 100 students to see Chicago, Producers, and Les Miserables. My 14 year old daughter who doesn't watch much "mature" material, enjoyed all three shows, and was not offended by any of it. Parents did have to sign a release form because of the "mature content"-- so I was a bit concerned too. All the kids had a great time. My daughter's favorite show was "Les Mis-" because of the beautiful songs.
May 14th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Eva

No one has mentioned "Urinetown" yet so here's my two cents. It was a great show with humor that appeals to all ages. I took my 11 year old to see it and we both loved it.

We also saw La Boheme which she loved (as did I). I have seen "Rent" and love the music but it is a bit heavy. It would definitely depend on the child. Either way there have been some great suggestions so you should have no problem. I always double check with the concierge guy at Broadway.com. He rates the shows as far as content for kids and has been pretty accurate thus far.
May 14th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Many years ago when my kids were in grade school we did an impulse trip to NYC with another family for the day from Washington, DC. We went to the half price ticket booth and got tickets to "Miss Saigon".

Oops!

The show had adult content but the kids enjoyed it and didn't understand the nuances about the prostitute, etc. It was a show my girlfriend and I wanted to see and we did not investigate content beforehand. I don't think any of the kids was permanently damaged.

By the way, that was the cheapest day I ever had in NYC. Amtrak had a deal. Kids under 12 were $15 each round trip with a full fare paying adult. Then there were the half price tickets to "Miss Saigon". After the theater we went to the Hard Rock Cafe. They totally messed up our orders. I didn't care because I was too exhausted to be anything but chilled out. My friend made a fuss and we got FREE meals. The kids thereupon ordered disgusting gloppy desserts which, of course, they could not finish them. We then went up in the Empire State Building and took the train home. I think the whole day ended up costing me $250. There was a lot of sleeping on the train back to DC. What a day! What fun!
May 16th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

I certainly appreciate everyone's replies. I think we're leaning toward Millie or Hairspray. I finally let my daughter read the summaries of the shows on Broadway.com. Part of my concern stemmed from a conception that I would not have much choice in available shows for a Saturday night in July. It looks, though, like most of these are still available for our date. Thanks again, everyone.
May 17th, 2003, 04:22 AM

I'm confused about your concern about availability of tickets. Hairspray is one of the toughest tickets--if not THE toughest. So, if that's available, then jsut about all other shows should be available.
May 17th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Saw Mama Mia in London two weeks ago. Can't get the music out of my head.