Search

Creepy Crawlies

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creepy Crawlies

I am taking my first trip to central Texas this August and I'm wondering what type of insects, bugs, and general creepy crawlies I can expect. Living in Western Washington we don't have many big bugs or spiders. I'm not afraid of bugs, I just don't like them.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:48 AM
E

When I lived there, fire ants were the bane of my existence--if you see ants, do not assume they're harmless, as fire ant bites sting like the dickens. I also recall a tiny scorpion or two, but these were no big deal, easy to spot and avoid; ditto the one black widow spider I saw. If you're near a lake, there may be some mosquito action. Do you expect to be out in the weeds, as it were?
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:40 AM

The big four that I encountered while living there: water bugs(BIG black roachy looking things), fire ants (of which I had a terrific allergic reaction), regular roaches and scorpions.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Syv

Just travelling on vacation, probably none of this will be a bother. I visited all over Texas last year and never had any problem with bugs ...of the 4 legged or 2 legged kinds
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

I'm visiting a friend from High School and my husband won't be coming with me. My friend wants to take me fishing (which I love), and out to his parents ranch.

Can I expect to see an armidillo? I've never seen a live one.

I have never seen a roach, other than the ones they have at the zoo (same goes for scorpions). We don't have them in Washington unless you live in very dirty, filthy conditions.

I've only seen a black widow at the grocery store. It came in with some produce and they had it in a plastic container. The produce guy showed it to me and my mom.