Broadway restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know we’ve covered this before but I can’t find a thread I read. I’m seeing Book of Mormon next month with my daughter and am hoping for a restaurant recommendation. My daughter prefers Italian food but is willing to eat other cuisines. Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 12:25 PM

Well, there's always Katz's Deli if you want to eat really big and Jewish. Can't help with Italian except to say wander into Little Italy.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Are these the threads you can’t find? One is from the Lounge, the other from the US forum.

NY theater district restaurant

NY theater district restaurant

I had two theater district trips since they were posted and used three of the recommendations from them:

West Bank Cafe. (Billed as American but had an Italian slant)

Azalea. (Italian and my group left very happy)

Esca. (Seafood with a very interesting menu. Our starters were wonderful, the main dishes less spectacular but still good.)

There are some real New York restaurant experts on the US board who don’t post in the lounge; you might want to ask there.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 02:08 PM

We loved the Azalea as well, It is Italian and next to the Gershwin theater. If you like risotto, try the risotto there and enjoy the beautiful way it is presented.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"West Bank Cafe. (Billed as American but had an Italian slant)"

This is my favorite. It's been my favorite for years and has never disappointed. Food is good. Service is great. I love their pre-theater prix fixe menu although you can order off the menu. I like that the location is a bit out of the hustle and bustle of the Times Square energy but is a very easy walk to the theaters. I later learned it's a favorite of a friend who grew up on (and still lives) the UWS. I had Thanksgiving dinner there one year and it was full of locals. I've had meals in the area that I enjoyed and some that I was so stressed about getting out on time and, for me, the WBC is like an oasis. Always good. Always a pleasure.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I’ll check these restaurants out.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Geez, why respond to a thread when you have no valid input? Katz' is on Houston St, downtown and Little Italy is even further south, no where near the theater district.

Azaela's was very good the last time I went there. All 4 of us enjoyed it.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 03:06 AM

Most Times Square restaurants are mediocre. We have tried Becco, Vice Versa, Carmine's, Esca, and a few others. Try John's Pizzeria in an old church. It is branch of the original on Bleecker Street.

What you could also do is eat a bit downtown on the west side near a subway so Times Square is about a 10 minute train ride or cab ride and a whole world opens up. Among those are Red Cat, Cookshop and for Italian Le Zie, for a bit more sophisticated version of Italian food.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mercato, on 39th near 9th Avenue is reasonably close to the theaters and is a cut above the other nearby Italian places. Mercato | Trattoria italiana con vini e liquori ? Hell's kitchen
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:44 AM

Book of Mormon is right here on 49th between 7th and 8th Avenues; if you can live with a regular American menu, I like Thalia, which is on 8th Avenue, a half-block from the theater, and has good prices. There are two restaurants on West 51st Street that I like, both Italian. ViceVersa is more of a modern Italian restaurant with good pastas, and they will serve half portions if you want to eat lighter. Although it's typically packed with no one but tourists, Maria Pia is also good, particularly if you avoid the cheap prix-fixe and order off the regular menu. I've had many good meals there. Becco is also quite good (much more than mediocre) if you order off the regular menu and avoid the all-you-can-eat pasta special.

For me, any subway or taxi ride is too much before the theater. I like to eat within walking distance in case I run late. If in doubt, always look west of 8th Avenue,
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 09:13 AM

I totally agree with Doug about Thalia--good food, good service, good ambiance and good prices!
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Another vote for Thalia's. Nice atmosphere, good food, and walkable to theater. Would definitely suggest reservations. Enjoy!