Broadway Plays - Dress Up?

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broadway Plays - Dress Up?

I'm going to see Chicago (my first NYC trip) and was wondering if people dress up (formal attire) to go to the theater. Can someone help me?
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 03:03 PM

How great to see Chicago as your first NYC play! You will love it

No, formal attire is not needed. Sometimes I think it would be fun if we all dressed up like they used to a long time ago, to see a play or go to a concert, but regular day clothes are fine.
You will see all sort of outfits.
I like to wear either a pair of black trousers with a top/sweater or a skirt. I usually wear black all the time anyway-so that is what I wear at night also.
Have a lovely time~
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 03:40 PM

We've seen Chicago many times - it's one of our favorites!

As for dress, you'll see anything and everything on folks at the theaters. Best bet is to dress for whatever you're doing before or after.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 03:42 PM

Unfortunately Scarlett is correct. You will see people in torn jeans and sweatshirts, but most try to go a respectable casual. Evening performances tend to be slightly more upscale, but certainly not black tie.

Chicago is an incredible show! Have fun and enjoy your visit!!
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 08:25 PM

For several years I've been somewhat saddened by the overly casual attire I see at Broadway shows -- right down to the two guys who sat behind me in tank tops and nylon jogging shorts. Just arrived in New York yesterday and tonight saw Big River. I couldn't get over how dressed up the audience was. I can't remember when I've seen so many men in coat and tie and so many women quite dressed up. Was this a Saturday night fluke, or do I sense a new trend???
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for answering me. I'm packing now!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:54 AM

Patrick, I think your experience reflects two things:
1. People tend to dress up more for the theater on weekend evenings.
2. The bulk of the audience for Big River was probably locals, who tend to dress up more for the theater than tourists, relatively speaking.
I'll be curious to hear what your experience is during the month of theater going.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:16 AM

Just remember that it is usually CHILLY in the theaters, so if you're wearing something sleeveless, a sweater or jacket or wrap is a necessity!

I always wear a pants suit. I can't stand having cold legs or arms for hours.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:24 AM

Ofcourse there are always tourists like my mom and me....we left the hotel early in the morning and never quite allowed ourselves enough time to get back shower, eat and make it to the theater! I never did get to wear my "nice" skirt and blouse! We always just barely made it by curtain time! Just out having too much fun!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 12:25 PM

Interesting concept, Howard. I don't know why, but I always got the feeling that New Yorkers tended to dress up more during the week than for weekends. Maybe it was just a guess because business men are in suits and wives often join them. Sort of like casual Friday ideas, and then relaxing even more on Saturday. But I suspect you have a point.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 12:50 PM

Patrick, you are also right about people being dressed up during the week because they are still in their "work clothes." However, keep in mind that the bulk of the audience for these performances are probably tourists.
One other point: If you went to a show that is surviving strictly on tourist business such as Phantom of the Opera, you'd see a lot more casual attire even on weekends.