NY Theatres - What to wear ?

Oct 5th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

NY Theatres - What to wear ?

I have relatives coming in town to go to a play in NY - I never go. They want to know if they need to dress up ? What do most people wear ? are jeans appropriate ?
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:36 PM

jeans are fine. I personally enjoy dressing up a bit for NY theatre, but I'm in the minority!

The record was the two guys behind us wearing nylon jogging shorts and tanktops. Guess they just ran into town for the day.
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM
J62

Years ago it was inappropriate not to dress up. These days you will find the audience ranging from dressed up (my preference) to ratty jeans and bare midriffs.

On the flip side, 42nd street isn't what it used to be either...
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM

We prefer to dress up for the theatre, but there are many, many who do not.
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:56 PM
hdm

Patrick, I'm with you! I dress up even if it's just good pants and blouse for the theatre and the opera. It feels so much more respectful to the people up there on the stage and for me, it makes it a different kind of occasion than a comfy jeans and sweatshirt movie.
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Patrick, I attend a big (although somewhat casual) church downtown and someone attended service in full running gear (shoes, shorts, and tank)

More than a little too casual for me!

If I wear jeans, they are black jeans and a "nice" top.

I agree hdm that it's not your local suburban movie theatre1
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:22 PM

We are at NYC theater rats - go all the time - while you will see people in jeans, we do not. You will once in awhile on a wknd night see a couple who ar making a night of it and are in sequins and long skrits or cocktail dresses. but that is rare. If your relatives want to pack light, a nice pair of slacks or skirt with a top and jacket is fine, - and my husband usually wears nice pants and a shirt and tie, sometime the jacket depending on where we are eating. It can get hot in some of the theaters, or the temp can jump between warm and then cool if they blast air - so layers are good. often my jacket comes off and on several times - or a shawl is a good idea. - but they should get a bit dressier than normal, that's what makes a special night at the theater fun - just b/c the people next to them might be in funky day time dress doesn't mean they have to - If it's a weekday night you will see many people coming from the office in suits. I admit I like it in Europe at the operas in Prague and Budapest men were in suits and women were all dressed up as if going to a black tie and in those old theaters it just made for a beautiful evening.....but yes, in NYC nice jeans work too.....
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:23 PM

I was amazed to find people were more dressed at the Metropolitan Museum than in the Broadway Theatres (it is the opposite here in San Francisco.)
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Our daughter is in Australia at present for a semester of study and is amazed at the difference in how theatre is presented there - she says it is a whole different experience - candy wrappers crunching, popcorn sold, cell phones ringing.

I must admit that I think it's a special evening going to the theatre in New York and would not wear jeans myself, but have seen it more and more the past few years. I'm in Patrick's minority ... and his story of the jogging shorts and tanktops fortunately isn't toooo common but it's getting more and more informal there all the time.
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:37 PM

I don't think one can overdress for anything in NYC. Dressing to the 9's makes it fun and eventful! "Do they need to dres up?" No, but it's sure fun tryin!
Oct 6th, 2005, 04:55 AM

You'll see folks dressed in anything and everything, so you may as well dress for whatever you're doing before or after.
Oct 6th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Anything goes, and jeans are certainly appropriate.

Matinees tend to be more casual, for obvious reasons.

The judgmental shallowness is no more.

Enjoy!
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice !!
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:50 AM
GoTravel

If I wear jeans, I wear them with heels and a dressy blouse not tennis shoes and a sweatshirt.

Oct 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM

If you are going to a meal before or after, type of restaurant might dictate dress, otherwise, casual is fine these days.
Oct 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM

If someone wants to wear jeans, fine.

But I have to say that some people start their day early, see the sights, shop, and run to make a curtain call and then are put off when you won't give them your leg room for their packages!

And by the way, they also stink because they didn't return to their hotel room to shower before the show.

A little decorum, please.