Reload this Page >

Broadway - Hairspray - Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Ellen

Saw Hairspray on Wednesday. Lots of fun, very campy and colorful. Show lets out at 10:40 on the nose. Not suitable for younger children--a lot of sexual inuendo. Harvey Feirstein is hillarious and the rest of the cast is perfect as well. No miscasts at all. Theater was packed, and there were about 30 people waiting on line outside for cancellations. Don't appear to be any really bad seats, except for the seats all the way off to the sides. All in all, a fun evening. Going again next Friday when it is out of previews. There is one line in there that mentions it is a preview, I can't wait to hear what line they are going to use instead of that one. By the way, tickets go up $5 per seat next week, so get them now if you can.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Howard

Ellen, happy to see you joining the Hairspray fan club! But, hey, it's okay for kids. In fact, the night we saw it, there were lots of them in the audience enjoying the show as much as us old folks!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Ellen

Glad you liked it too Howard. However, I stand by my opinion, and you are entitled to yours as well. I would not bring my younger nieces and nephews, but I would bring the teens. I feel it is too suggestive for younger kids. Whether they have a good time or not is not really the issue. I am sure they would have a good time watching Goldmember too, but I wouldn't take them to that either. In any case, at $100 per ticket, I'm not springing for the kids anyway.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:34 PM
xxx

Funny you mention that, I went to see Goldmember last week and there was a young girl about 10 sitting next to me in the theater with her parents on the other side of her. I was so embarrassed that they would let her see it, I couldn't enjoy the movie.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:40 AM
aMom

I also loved Hairspray. I wouldn't say there was 'a lot' of sexual inuendo, but there certainly was some. I think much if it would go right over the head of a young child. Besides it also had some very positive messages. Whether or not I would bring a young child, I think that would depend on the child. If they were a genuine musical-theater loving young child, I think I would take them. If they haven't been to a show before or don't seem to enjoy sitting for 2 1/2 hrs, at $100/ticket I would have serious 2nd thoughts. I am taking my 13 yr old (but I don't consider her a young child). My 11 year old will be staying home, it's not his thing. A few years ago I took my daughter to 'Damn Yankees' which also did have some sexual inunendo ('What ever Lola Wants...'). SHe loved the show and was unaffected by what may be considered 'inappropriate'. She also thought Jerry Lewis was hysterical. I saw no harm in bringing her.

About the GOldmember comment. I didn't allow my daughter to see the 1st Austin Powers movie. A year or so later, when it was out on video, the topic came up. it turned out she saw it a few times at different friends' homes. That being the case, I rather see the movie with my child so we can talk about certain aspects of it then have her see it with friends and come to her own conclusions.